Hello one and all,

My first post here, and I'd first like to say thank you for your interest in this post. I was recently the lucky recipient of a c.1925 version of a Kodak Model 2 8x10 inch view camera that appears to be in impeccable condition. The camera was given to me (read FREE) along with the original wooden tripod, some film holders, a contact printer, 3x combo lens, shutter and a case for all of it. I think I can take the camera out immediately and start shooting, it's in that good of shape. Anyway, I've been a photojournalist for a LONG time and am looking for a different direction to go. Maybe buy a place near the beach and open a small gallery that is of tintype images of all sorts- beach scenes, people, architecture and maybe even a nude or two. Mostly high-end, gallery grade stuff.

I am researching all of this, but am seeing that the tintype kits seem to be hit or miss, but most are saying "miss". I am interested in keeping the process as authentic as possible, so am interested to know if anyone has a site that shows processes, chemical formulas and technique? I would really appreciate any information.

My next question is most likely a little stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway because nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So, I am thinking that a tintype can be a lot like making a photographic print. Has anyone tried or experimented with using a black and white negative and enlarging it onto a tintype, and then developing it in a normal developer? Is this crazy or common? Any feedback on my genius or stupidity about this is appreciated! :-)