Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today...

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

John, I paid attention to what my father used to say about the younger generation and what I've said about them. Age for age, I've been tempted to say exactly what he did. But I don't, because I remember being young and ignorant.

My father's comments about the kids, and the ones I'm tempted to make and try not to, reflect age and experience looking at youth and inexperience. We're all born ignorant and with no experience at all, learn and gain experience as we get older. Its unfair to expect kids to know what we old folks have learned since we were kids ourselves.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

Re: Great image of a guy up a phonepole with a 5X7 Top Handle Speedy on Shorpy today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    That was my mom's method too, as it should be any good mom's. Go outside and play. She cured us of whining 'i don't have anything to do!' She would grab some clippers and proceed to trim everything in the yard and make us spend the rest of the day cleaning it all up! I don't know what's up with mom's these days. It isn't rocket science.

haha I learned real quick never to whine to my dad "dad there is nothing to do" if i did he would usually find a ditch that needed to be cleaned out, ahh the memories
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Well! This thread certainly turned out to have legs, arthritic though they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Well! This thread certainly turned out to have legs, arthritic though they may be.
    It's not the arthritis doctor, it's the splinters that are killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    It's not the arthritis doctor, it's the splinters that are killing me.
    Whew! That went over my head.

--
    Jac - both hands crippled.

Look back five pages to the post about the Bell guy who slipped and slid down the pole, safety belt intact and rubbed his forearms on the pole all the way down...

"Anyone have some tweezers?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Whew! That went over my head.

--
    Jac - both hands crippled.
    Jac, one of my classmates in climbing school was a second generation Bell System employee. Her father was a lineman, once slid down an unstepped pole (accident), held close to it by his climbing belt. He ended up with a chest full of large nasty splinters, needed several surgeries and suffered considerably. Let's not joke about splinters.

I've had wooden splinters and plenty of metal splinters doing sheet metal work. I always carried tweezers in my tool box.

Splinters I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnI6W3l_1Oo

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    needed several surgeries and suffered considerably. Let's not joke about splinters.
    I would never joke about such a thing. My sympathies to the gentleman. Keep in mind that I've seen some terrible injuries as a medic in service, 1964-70. It is all bad with sympathies forever.