Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: camera suggestion for portrait, still life and lens.

camera suggestion for portrait, still life and lens.

Hello,

I'm just getting crazy thinking on which camera will fit better my needs among a Calumet 540 and a Calumet cc 440 for studio use portraits, still life close up.
    I know that the cc 440 lack in some movements on the rear part but I don't know if that could be an issue with portrait and still life.

Anyway if you have other camera models tha fit better for me please write them.

In the end but not less important I need a lens... my budget is low for the lens, around 200 dollars and I don't know what focal lenght get, 250-300-350mm???
    Of course always for portrait, still life closeup work.

Re: camera suggestion for portrait, still life and lens.

It's the Indian (Indio?) not the arrow, but I'd avoid the architectural Calumet because it has a shorter rail for wider lenses (at least the one I had did---it's perfectly fine for architecture though!) I suggest 203- 215-ish mm would be a good focal length to start and $200 should easily get you a good used one. Kodak 203 f7.7 Ektars were real sleepers but there seem to be so many 210s on the market right now you can easily find good deals. For still life close ups I like wider lenses=less bellows draw=less bellows factor. If you don't need movements a 127mm Ektar refugee from a Speed Graphic, or a Ysaron salvaged off a Polaroid copy camera should work for you and I've seen those go for as cheap as $50 if you don't mind going a-hunting for one.
    Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Except for architecture, camera "movements" are mostly unnecessary. A little tilt and rise is all that's needed for 99.99% of photography.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

What Bill said +1.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thank you guys for your suggestions. Right now I use a Sonnar 180mm with my 6x6, it's fine for potraits but doesn't allow me to get very near for still life or close up work.
    Some days ago I got the opportunity to play a little bit with a 4x5 cmaera in one store in San Francisco, the camera was with a 200 mm lens and onestly was too wide for my taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Thank you guys for your suggestions. Right now I use a Sonnar 180mm with my 6x6, it's fine for potraits but doesn't allow me to get very near for still life or close up work.
    Some days ago I got the opportunity to play a little bit with a 4x5 cmaera in one store in San Francisco, the camera was with a 200 mm lens and onestly was too wide for my taste.
    A 180mm lens on a 6x6 would be close to a 300mm on a 4x5 in focal length.

You don't need a long lens for macro work. You do need plenty of bellows. Most product photography was shot with 210mm lenses. I don't do still life's so I'll let others who are more experienced comment further.

Richard Johnson

Most commercial photographers, up until adopting digital, did the majority of their still life and studio product shots using a traditional monorail with lots of movements and a modern 210/5.6 Schneider Symmar or Rodenstock Sironar lens. These are by far the most plentiful and reasonably priced 4x5 outfits on the used market because almost every student and pro had one. They are no longer popular with landscapists because they are heavier and bulkier than they care to carry but they will make the same (or better, being more robust) quality photo as any 4x5.

The 210 would not be too short for most work, the focal lengths you like for smaller formats do not simply scale up the way you think they might. And for traditional still life photography you will use all of your camera's front and rear movements and also most of its extension for close work.

So for closeup portraits and closeup still life a rail between 20''-26'' inch and a 210 mm lens should be fine for me?

Do you know some online store where get accessories and lens?

For a 1:1 (life size) image with a 210mm lens you need 420mm or 16 1/2" of bellows extension and rail. For a 3:1 (3 times life size) you will need that 26" rail. So to answer your question it all depends on how much enlargement you want.

Some cameras like my Sinar have short starter rails and then you can add more extensions on. I can also add another standard and bellows.

KEH is a great place to buy used lenses. I also recommend this forum's for sale section. Ebay has the largest selection. I would figure on a CLA for any lens bought on Ebay and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't need it.

Keh is good. Also the "For Sale" forum right here is a good place for photo gear. I've bought photo gear from Jim at Midwest Photo Exchange and he's treated me very well. I'd suggest a Calumet 400 series(with a longer rail) or Graphic View 1 or 2, along with a 210mm convertible lens from Schneider (so you'll have a shorter focal length option for still life), in a good, working shutter would be a capable kit to look for.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White