Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adapting/replacing the back on a 2x3 Technikardan?

Adapting/replacing the back on a 2x3 Technikardan?

I've located a couple of used 2x3 Technikardans here in Shanghai, but the fact that they apparently will *only* work with the Linhof roll film backs is a deal killer.

Does anyone know of a practical means by which one might modify or replace the back of the baby Technikardan to work with Graflock standard backs? I already have a couple 6x9 Horseman holders. Is it possible? Would it be a waste of time to try? Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks!

Re: Adapting/replacing the back on a 2x3 Technikardan?

My gut reaction would have been that it's a waste of time to try. And it may well be. But take a look at the back of this Technikardan:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINHOF-TECHN...-/221388802949

No way but they also work with slip-in holders like the Linhof Raoid Rollex backs. The TK and Linhof Technika 23cameras DO NOT HAVE a Graphlock type back and there is no adapter to make them Graphlock type back.

So sell your old backs off and get the fr superior Linhof backs or sell the Linhof and get a less professional camera that can mount the old becks,

I have a few Linhof 23 backs, and there usually seems to be more supply than demand on these, so the price is fairly reasonable on the used market. Better just to wait for a back or two at a price you can afford than a custom modification of the camera. For B&W, sheet film is also an option. 2x3" sheeet film holders always seem cheap and plentiful, and Grafmatics aren't too difficult to come by either.

Selling the Horseman backs and giving up the ability to use RB and other such backs while having to buy into much more expensive (very nice but functionally not much better) Linhof backs isn't what I'd call a good option. Linhof is great, which is why I'm interested, but calling anything that mounts Graflock backs "less professional" is a cheap shot. I'm not ruling it out entirely, but buying into a more limiting system for what is still a big pile of money isn't too enticing.

Since you haven't bought a TK yet, look into the 2x3 Cambo SF and successors. Also look into 2x3 Arca Swiss.

About y'r attachment to y'r Horseman backs, that's nice but if you decide to take Bob's advice and get (a) a TK and (b) one or more Linhof roll holders to fit it you can, as he said, always sell the Horseman backs.

You've given us a nice example of "the good enough is the enemy of the better." You're not alone in suffering from it, it has got me in trouble too.

There is nothing wrong with a Horseman back. It is not the "enemy of the better". One does not "suffer" by using a Horseman back. The Graflok back is an industry standard. The idea that Linhof deviates from the industry standard so users would have to buy the far more expensive product is pretty outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a Horseman back. It is not the "enemy of the better". One does not "suffer" by using a Horseman back. The Graflok back is an industry standard. The idea that Linhof deviates from the industry standard so users would have to buy the far more expensive product is pretty outrageous.
    Linhof didn't deviate from anything. The Linhof roll film back system for their 23 cameras predate the Graflock design by many years.
    For 45 Linhof did go to Graphlok but on 23 they stayed with their quick change mounting system.

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    In fact there is something wrong with Horseman roll holders for 2x3 cameras. They don't conform fully to the Graflok specification, can't be attached to, e.g., 2x3 Graphics with Graflok backs, without a little machining.

One doesn't suffer by using a Horseman roll holder but one can indeed suffer by purchasing one that can't be used at all.

Here is my latest 6x7 back adaptor for my home built medium format bodies which are solid to the lens register.
    This adaptor is milled from 0.25 inch 6061 Aluminum stock.
    I try to keep the flatness tolerance much lower than the typical variation I measure
    on the 4 corners of the rollers on the old RH10 backs I have here.
    Looking at photos of the camera in question, it looks rather wobbly (?) and I doubt that accuracy of the adaptor, or the rollfilm back will be very critical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PR_67Adaptor.jpg