Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Returned goods for the For Sale section, some guidelines?

Returned goods for the For Sale section, some guidelines?

My interpretation of a fair transaction is that if an item is not as described even if the seller and buyer disagree on the condition, buyer pays return shipping and the seller issue a full refund.
    Unless the seller specified clearly in the ads (or before the item was paid!) the original shipping cost should not be deducted from the refund.

The For Sale section is at our own risk but is it possible that some basic rules be established in the way everyone agree on the same accepted practices.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Re: Returned goods for the For Sale section, some guidelines?

Ginette, I've had two buyers scream "misrepresentation!" at me. I offered both full refunds including shipping to them and return shipping. One refused my generous offer, said he'd been angling for a discount. The other apologized for yelling at me about a lens he'd bought from someone else.

I think that the best policy is to refund the full amount paid and to pay for return shipping if the buyer claims the goods are not as represented. Not that I would ever publish such as policy, since I don't want to encourage people to make frivolous claims.

I don't agree that the seller should pay shipping. For thousands of years....oh, ok, for a hundred or so, if you bought something used, then didn't want it, it was the onus of the buyer to return for a full refund. Even today, if I buy from most companies, from an antique shop, over the internet, the sales usually say "return in the same condition you got it in for a full refund."

The "Try before you buy" technique is getting ridiculous with antique cameras and lenses. It's become a "free inspection" period for picky, hard to please buyers. It's only happened to me once or twice in hundreds of sales, but I'm very careful to explain to buyers any flaws. But I've bought a lot of over optimistically described things, and usually keep them, and don't make a fuss.

The biggest mistake you can do is say "like new" or "shutter works fine" because when it doesn't (these are 50-150 year old items) the buyer will instantly want a full refund, with you paying for "their trouble" over a little dust or a slightly slow 2 second speed on a Volute shutter. Buyers have responsibilities too - of being realistic.

Garrett, there's a large difference between screams about misrepresentation and a request to return because the item didn't please.

I'm not at all in favor of "buy and try." When I buy something I want it, otherwise I wouldn't be willing to pay for it.

I've been burned by a few eBay sellers who flatly lied about what they were selling, then balked about refunds. All this before eBay became more buyer friendly.

You're right, it's not cut and dry like I sometimes pretend. Every sale is different.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    You're right, it's not cut and dry like I sometimes pretend. Every sale is different.
    Yes, every transaction is different. However, in my opinion the standard policy should be that the buyer pays shipping, and if he/she chooses to return the item, the buyer will also pay return shipping. The seller should only pay return shipping if the item were not in the condition advertised. I usually document the appearance of high price items in advance by making 8-10 digital snaps.

Every major supplier I deal with (KEH, Adorama, B&H) has the same policy. Buyer pays shipment in advance, and if the item is returned a full refund if given, but buyer also pays return shipping. That assumes the merchandise is not in some way defective.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    The For Sale section is at our own risk but is it possible that some basic rules be established in the way everyone agree on the same accepted practices.
    Setting out rules beyond "Use of this area is strictly at your own risk" opens a can of worms for the moderators. Any specific concerns that a buyer has can be negotiated in advance with a seller. If you can't reach mutually agreeable terms, then you don't proceed with the transaction.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Every major supplier I deal with (KEH, Adorama, B&H) has the same policy. Buyer pays shipment in advance, and if the item is returned a full refund if given, but buyer also pays return shipping. That assumes the merchandise is not in some way defective.
    Sandy
    Their full refund include the original shipping paid?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Setting out rules beyond "Use of this area is strictly at your own risk" opens a can of worms for the moderators. Any specific concerns that a buyer has can be negotiated in advance with a seller. If you can't reach mutually agreeable terms, then you don't proceed with the transaction.
    Not asking the moderators interventions as it is clearly against the forum guidelines.
    Mostly a sensibilisation for the sellers to specify in their post if they accept returns and fully refund or retain the original shipping paid.
    Because we have some sort of trusting members on this forum that we don't have with *bay transactions. Example: When a member post a very desirable lens and described it as "clean glass" you don't think about returning it... you want it! So you don't ask the seller if he will refund the lens ... you pay by Paypal gift, etc.

Some kind of selling model like this one, as a reminder:
    Item for sale :
    Description :
    Pictures : attachment, external links, ask for if you want pictures
    Price :
    Shipped to : restrictions
    Shipping price: included; exact cost to your location,
    Payment methods :
    Return policy : Ex: Full refund, buyer paid the shipping back ; Return allowed but buyer paid both shipping ; No return
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Correct. If a buyer is concerned about the policy, clarify it (privately) before making the buy. Otherwise, realize that all life is a gamble, and buying used stuff moreso than most. Risk mitigation always costs, and some of that cost is missing out on the potential reward.

Putting the mods in the middle of sour transactions is a non-starter.

Rick "who has never needed public help to sort out a problem" Denney

...*bay transactions...
    eBay eBay eBay eBay eBay. There are no "seven dirty words" on this forum. And, if there are and I just haven't noticed, eBay isn't one of them.

...you pay by Paypal gift...
    No, I don't. Defrauding PayPal of its fees, whether I like them or not, isn't something a person of integrity does.