Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Dry Plate Day - August 4, 2014 (Open for Discussion)

Re: World Dry Plate Day - August 4, 2014 (Open for Discussion)

August 4, 2014 is a Monday. I think part of the reason wet plate day has lots of participants is it usually happens on the first Saturday of May. Perhaps, making dry plate day on the first Saturday of August or perhaps the first week of August for dry plate week.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

That's an excellent idea. I know I like it. "World Dry Plate Week". First week of August. It encompasses Dr. Maddox's birthday, revamps the title for the event, and gives plenty of time to make an image; allowing for time constraints, inclement weather, etc.

Thanks. It's now in the suggestion box.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    August 4, 2014 is a Monday. I think part of the reason wet plate day has lots of participants is it usually happens on the first Saturday of May. Perhaps, making dry plate day on the first Saturday of August or perhaps the first week of August for dry plate week.
    We started it to pay for a new headstone for F. Archer, the inventor. Yes, a weekend was best for all. Wetplate has lots of participants because it's booming, especially in Europe. When I started, there were 4-5 people in the US doing wetplate. Today, there are 4-5 in most large cities! I hate to say it, but for some strange reason dryplate has not caught on. I'd say it's numbers are where wetplate was 10 years ago....so a "world" day, may be a bit underwhelming. Not to let air out of anyone's sails, I WANT it to become big! It may be all we have along with wetplate and dags, in 10 years!

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    We started it to pay for a new headstone for F. Archer, the inventor. Yes, a weekend was best for all. Wetplate has lots of participants because it's booming, especially in Europe. When I started, there were 4-5 people in the US doing wetplate. Today, there are 4-5 in most large cities! I hate to say it, but for some strange reason dryplate has not caught on. I'd say it's numbers are where wetplate was 10 years ago....so a "world" day, may be a bit underwhelming. Not to let air out of anyone's sails, I WANT it to become big! It may be all we have along with wetplate and dags, in 10 years!
    I agree. I know I started with dry plates in lieu of wet plates in part because I didn't want to work with chemistry each time I wanted to make an exposure. I could take my plate holders having been loaded weeks in advance, make an exposure, and develop them at a later date. It's a good entry point for learning about coating emulsions & using glass as a substrate. And there very well may come a day when some major players in the manufacturing of sheet film and roll film decide to throw in the towel. For what it's worth, I hope that doesn't occur. But regardless, I can see traditional photography purring right along. You are correct . . .the present world of dry plate users must be small. Too small. We'll work on that, and see what happens. I'm still amazed how well wet plate has been received.

multiplex

i can see the allure of wet plate, and like the idea of a singular object,
    but using dry plates is fine with me ... its fun and versatile and
    like most things, it is not really as hard as people say.
    ---
    probably the reason why there aren't a lot of people who do it
    is because a lot of photographers want own the whole process
    and folks might think if they do dry plate, they should make their own emulsion too
    and if they are going to have to make an emulsion why not just skip that
    and go to wet-plate because well, there isn't an emulsion ... and wet plate easier in that respect.

===

well, whenever the day, or week, or weekend it is, i look forward to it

I think we'll to go with . . . . "Dry Plate Day - August 4th, 2014". That should cover most of the concerns that have been raised thus far?

Annually we can change the year portion of the event name to keep it current. I figured we could toss word "World" since the forum already has an international flavor.

Once the event's thread is opened for business, images and any related posts (conversations included) can be posted there until the next annual Dry Plate Day arrives. I hope to keep everything regarding the event very simple and very inviting to all who want to participate.

Thought's? Ideas? Concerns?

If I'm being overbearing or restrictive in any way, please let me know. I was hoping that someone with more experience in running a "World Wide event" would step forward and take the reins. That way I can spend my time coating plates, photographing and making prints. ;-)

I am all for it, what ever you call it. My big question is HOW?
    I have long thought of working with wet plates, but the start up is just too steep for me. Chemicals and the learning curve both.
    So I'm all ears about how to get started.
    Thanks in advance.

Consider thread names carefully. I know we have dry plate threads, but as has already happened here we need an instruction thread with tips. An exhibition of dry plates thread and a Day of thread.

You got the ball rolling with this thread, but soon you should modify your approach and lead.

my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I think we'll to go with . . . . "Dry Plate Day - August 4th, 2014". That should cover most of the concerns that have been raised thus far?

Annually we can change the year portion of the event name to keep it current. I figured we could toss word "World" since the forum already has an international flavor.

Once the event's thread is opened for business, images and any related posts (conversations included) can be posted there until the next annual Dry Plate Day arrives. I hope to keep everything regarding the event very simple and very inviting to all who want to participate.

Thought's? Ideas? Concerns?

If I'm being overbearing or restrictive in any way, please let me know. I was hoping that someone with more experience in running a "World Wide event" would step forward and take the reins. That way I can spend my time coating plates, photographing and making prints. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by WmRenick View Post
    I am all for it, what ever you call it. My big question is HOW?
    I have long thought of working with wet plates, but the start up is just too steep for me. Chemicals and the learning curve both.
    So I'm all ears about how to get started.
    Thanks in advance.
    I had planned someday to post the steps that I use to coat plates in this thread. But I don't mind posting a simplified version here.

There are other members here that use more complicated methods to coat a plate. But, I'm just not there yet. Time is always working against me. So, I rely on others to make the emulsion for me and it works perfectly fine. No complaints.

1. Have a camera with a plate holder. My cameras/holders are all period originals. But, modern film holders can also be modified.
    2. Have an emulsion for coating. Some folks make this from scratch. I just order ready-made (Rockland's Liquid Light) for example.
    3. Cut or order glass that fits your holder. I cut my own ~1.5mm thick glass.
    4. Prepare the glass for coating. This includes washing and subbing (for those who do that.).
    5. Currently I prepare my plates with Min-wax Polyurethane spray to aid the gelatin in adhering firmly to the plate. Other methods also exist.
    5a. Dry the plate thoroughly.
    6. Pour heated emulsion on the plate and spread the emulsion as desired. I use my finger tip. This can be accomplished under safe-lights.
    7. Dry the plate with it's emulsion thoroughly. I use an old ventilated suitcase that has a 12 volt computer fan attached.
    8. Once the plate is dry you can expose it in the camera.
    9. Develop the plate. I am using Dektol, Stop, and Fixer in trays. I made a tool for this, which can be found in another thread.
    10. Wash, Photo-Flo, and dry the plate.
    11. Print as desired via contact or enlargement.

I hope I didn't forget something important. I'll work on a more detailed version of this and post it soon.

Would check with Denise Ross at Light Farm - her website has alot on dry plates, see the light farm
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith