I would like to make a motion for the creation of a day of remembrance (August 4th) annually, to be known on the forum as "World Dry Plate Day" or similar. To be established specifically to honor Dr. Richard Leach Maddox (4 August 1816 – 11 May 1902) for his contributions to our craft. I am not aware of any other day of remembrance for Dr. Maddox, and would like to open this thread for the discussion of the subject.

Please feel free to post opinions "for and opposed" so that moderators and/or forum members can properly weigh in on the impact of establishing such an event on the forum. I am not seeking any credit for the creation of such an event, but I felt that it would be a nice to recognize Dr. Maddox who himself was extremely generous.

It would be nice if at least one moderator could jump into the discussion early to set the tone for the thread. Or to delete the thread if necessary.

My personal thoughts for the event would be to open a new thread in advance of 4 August each year to allow forum members to post images made from a dry plate (manufactured or handmade) exposed on or around August 4th (his birthday), as a tribute to Dr. Maddox and his accomplishments. I foresee no monetary element to the event. Participation in the thread would be voluntary.

Also, August 4th, 2016 will mark 200 years since his birth. Establishing such an event now in 2014 might help to fuel interest in Dry Plate photography.