View Poll Results: Your personal anxieties about LF (You can vote more than one)

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1) Limited local places to shoot

36 19.46%
  • 2) General costs & logistics (transportation, space, learning)

33 17.84%
  • 3) Time away from other priorities (family, job, pets, etc.)

39 21.08%
  • 4) My age/health/motivation/fulfillment

35 18.92%
  • 5) Gear (camera/lenses/tripod/enlarger/scanner)

10 5.41%
  • 6) Film & development

50 27.03%
  • 7) Printing & display/exhibitions

25 13.51%
  • 8) Scanning/digital processing

21 11.35%
  • 9) My post count (too low/too high) ;^)

5 2.70%
  • 10) Other: (Please share!)

26 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: What's your #1 anxiety about LF (in your personal life)?

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    I swear. I didn't find any Monty Python sketches that referred to 5x7 cameras. But, you did. Next thing you'll be telling me is that you're here for an argument. ;-)
    Actually, I'm expecting the Spanish Inquisition. They're late.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Senesac View Post
    Cost for Provia 100F 4x5 sheet film just keeps rising. ... So where does one go?
    Pentax 645z = $8,500, + 55mm ($1,200) + 75mm ($700) = appx $10,500, call it $11,000 with accessories like memory cards and whatnot.

Call it $4.00 per sheet for color 4x5, $2.50 per sheet for development, not including postage = $6.50 per sheet. $11,000 / $6.50 = 1,692.

The reason I pick the Pentax 645 digital system is because that's the minimum that I would go with if I were to forgo film. That's my standard, and I'm sticking with it. The "full frame" DSLR cameras are far too big, while the Pentax is just right. I'm not including post processing steps because both of them require it, and the labor is dependent on what image it is. This is about the acquisition of the image, and that's all.

This past weekend I exposed 24 sheets of color. Now, if I did that for a year then 52 * 24 = 1,248. But I don't get out that much. I wish that I did. But if I did, then I'd buy a 645z in a trice, and it would have earned its keep in a bit over 16 months.

Now, what of quality? I get a decent-enough-for-me-and-my-Epson-2200 126Mp scan with my Epson 750 from a 6x4.5cm piece of film. But that's 2x what I'd get from the 645z. And Lenny scans at 4000dpi, for 320Mp. Now, if I want to get large with a print, like Gursky, then that's a bit of a difference between the two. 50Mp won't cut it. And I have printed 4x5 Techpan on 16x20, and that's just really it for me. I know the quality of the medium that I want.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

I chose "film & development". I have one good lab available to me in my area but they are expensive. Only because I can't develop my own film at this point. I know, all you need is a bathroom to develop in but you ain't seen the ones in my townhouse.

Anyway that's my number one anxiety for now. I'm selling the townhouse and buying a house house in three years and darkroom space will be included in a new house. Then my only anxiety with LF will be not blowing the shot.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    I chose "film & development". I have one good lab available to me in my area but they are expensive. Only because I can't develop my own film at this point. I know, all you need is a bathroom to develop in but you ain't seen the ones in my townhouse.

Anyway that's my number one anxiety for now. I'm selling the townhouse and buying a house house in three years and darkroom space will be included in a new house. Then my only anxiety with LF will be not blowing the shot.
    Well, to develop film you only need a sink, to print you need more extensive stuff.

I made a simple checklist of stuff you need to develop at home for B&W and color, if interested PM me and I'll link you the list, it's around $100 to get you started.

Old School Wayne

Cost for shooting/printing color

Thanks Stone. Should have explained more on the space problem. Its more than that. My wife works and studies at home. She is working on a degree on line. I do the food shopping, cooking and clean up and everything else to do with the house except laundry. No burden as I love cooking as much as I love photography. I'm also self employed and there just isn't the time or space to add developing at home right now. I know all I need is a sink...plus room to keep the equipment etc. and time to do it when it won't interfere with Liz's work and study and do everything else I have on my plate.

When I say this place is small I mean SMALL. two bedrooms, two and a half baths with full basement but at its widest only 11' wide, not counting the stairs. I have a woodworking shop in the basement. A kitchen full of "tools" for cooking and we have to rent a storage shed for the books we don't have room for plus the supply of hardwood I use. So when I say I have no room I'm not kidding.

The only good thing about my townhouse is its location. At only 1005 sq ft of usable space the going market rate for one of them is $420,00.00. And with the the improvements the county is making to my neighborhood the projected worth is $500,00 in about three years.

At that point we'll get a house, I'll cut back on my work load (liz's degree will increase her earning power to allow that)and start learning how to develop and print in the new roomy house. Till then I just don't even think about it.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Gotcha! Another anxiety! Not enough space for GAS!

Mine is loading the holders...most annoying.
    Linhof Kardan re

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Gotcha! Another anxiety! Not enough space for GAS!
    I was kinda trying to forget that one.
    Bob

The most worrying thing about anything larger than 4x5 is the problem with Newton Rings...

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    The most worrying thing about anything larger than 4x5 is the problem with Newton Rings...

RR
    Not sure I see the connection here. That's what ANR glass is for? Or not using glass.