Hi All,

I have posted the same question on Rangefinder Forum, but I wanted to check here to see if I can get a good diversity of responses. Also, I've been away from this forum too long...as I have been shooting mostly rangefinders...but the question should apply to LF gear.

I have read some threads on this and it seems that many people have coverage for their cameras through their homeowners or renters insurance either as part of the standard policy or through special riders.

I am traveling to Costa Rica the end of this month, not overly worried about theft or anything, but just to be cautious I checked with the company that provides my renters insurance to see if my equipment would be covered if something happened. I will be bringing a couple Leicas and a couple Mamiya 7IIs. After talking with 4 insurance representatives I finally got a definitive response: My policy would cover loss due to theft or fire even while traveling, or I could add a special endorsement for my gear that would cover accidents as well. However, the big catch is that I have a website, and occasionally (every couple of years) sell photographs that may have been taken with the gear. So now my cameras are business related and are only covered for $2500 in my house and $250 off premises.

So, I was wondering what people in similar situations do? I participate in business activities when I sell photographs through my gallery, but I also work full time and am in grad school so this doesn't currently happen as much as I would like. I also have a slew of LF gear and a drum scanner that seem to not be covered past the $2500/$250 limits. I will contact some local insurance companies and see what they can offer, but I wanted to see what other people who use their gear for a business do for insurance? Purchase business insurance? Just hope nothing happens? Assume that homeowners/renters insurance will come through?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam