Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

Re: Epson V750 BW Film Scan Quality (Bad?)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    This is the first time I use V750 to scan 6x7 BW film. I'm not impressed by the quality. The 6x7 film is superior to the 35mm film I used before. But the digital images do not reflect that.

For the V750 film scan, I used 2400 and 3200 dpi resolution. Not much difference. The skin tone is really bad, not smooth. I do not know if I did not scan correctly. I used the stock film carrier and used the top lens for negative.

I have Minolta Elite 5400 to scan my 35mm film. The quality is much better.

Not sure if there is anything else I can do.
    Try these measures from an earlier thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1120176

You have a good scanner there and you can get the results you need by stopping the scanner from doing ANYTHING automatically. Deal with dust and other stuff in your editing software such as PS...

RR

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

A couple years ago I was given a Screen Cezanne scanner. The guy that gave me that was the original owner, I asked him what he was using after he put the Cezanne in storage. He said it was an Epson 750. I was shocked at first. But he explained it to me. In his claims the average person today has never seen a scan from a Cezanne or from a Minolta 5400, for example, so they wouldn't know better. He also claims that the 750 delivers an image with a structure similar to digital camera files people are used to. And finally he says the 750 image structure is handled fine by Epson printers. I asked what was beyond that and he stated it was simply too much trouble for his business.

So my guess is that Lenny nailed it when he said "It is very possible you may want more out of that scanner than it is capable of." Ignorance is bliss.

If like me you have seen drum scans or even Coolscan scans, the images in this http://www.imagingtips.com/othertips...0100scan.shtml are really poor quality. With those older scanners you could see the grain and with the 750 it would be a complicated sharpening path to acomplish the same.

But for the skin tone problem, assuming you got Silverfast when you bought the 750, you could probably try that and apply different film types to your scan and see if it improves the color right out of the scanner. If that doesn't do it, there is also a way to get linear gamma positive image of your negative with Silverfast and then invert and correct in PS afterwards. Maybe there is a way to get linear gamma positive out of Epson Scan as well, but I wouldn't know.

I find my Epson 700 does much better with 4x5 and 35mm than 2 1/4, have tried all the settings, seems 2 1/4 film sags a little bit in the holder. A couple of basics:
    Not use the Auto settings, results are awful. I use the Epson software, the hobbled version of Silverfast sold with the 700 was not worth it.
    Film should be in the holder, emulsion side up, not like in an enlarger.
    Hope this helps.

Tom

Landscape Addict

I dont use a V700/750, however I have had much better results when I scan B/W Negs if I scan them in colour positive mode, then import that file into PS, Invert, and use only the green channel (giving a B/W positive final image) I find the results are sharper, smoother and have better tonality than if I set the scanner to B/W Neg mode.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Try Ken Lee's link above. It sure helped me simplify my Epson V750 scanning method. It's pretty straightforward and I'm happy with my scans. Thanks Ken.