Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4X5 reflex viewer at night

Ron Miller

Re: 4X5 reflex viewer at night

Quote Originally Posted by armentor1@mac.com View Post
    I'm looking to do a project at night and would like to use tilts/swings of my Chamonix. I've tried 4x5 at night before and found it very difficult to see through the ground glass. Can anyone comment on if the reflex view would make it easier to compose?
    thanks -

dave

www.davidarmentor.com
    I have the newer model Chamonix 4x5 and the fresnel is pretty decent but for night work, not so much. A few years ago I used a Meniscus lens before dawn at Bryce and the only thing that saved me was that someone was shining a spot light right on the scene I wanted to shoot. He was kind enough to turn it off for a few minutes after I focused so I could meter and take the shot in the available light. I know someone from the UK suggested a torch (flashlight) and I would have to agree - just to focus of course. Or maybe use hyperfocal.

Ron

Armentor1

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll post images once i get going.

Armentor1

Quote Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
    I had a reflex viewer and never liked it. I doubt it would be suitable at night with reduced light.

Two thoughts:

1) if you want a brighter viewing screen (ground glass)
    You might try talking to Bill Maxwell - Maxwell Precision Optics.

He produces a variety of Fresnel Screens and Ground glass combinations for different cameras and formats. His screens are excellent, but not inexpensive.
    I have one of his viewing screens for my Linhof Technika and it's really bright. He can also supply Fresnel lenses.
    This is the information I have and believe it's current, though I have not spoken with him in over a year.
    One cautionary note - Bill is a super nice guy, and quite talkative. So call when you're not in a big rush.

Maxwell Precision Optics
    Work: 770-939-6644
    Work: 770-934-0431
    E-Mail: MaxwellPrecisionOptics@yahoo.com
    Address: P.O. 33146, Decatur GA 30033-0146

2) If you want to add light to a subject for focusing, check out some of the super bright LED flashlights available nowadays. Many on Amazon.
    I recently purchased the item below and cannot believe how powerful it is - stronger than an auto headlamp and has a very wide beam. The price is quite reasonable. It will light up things at considerable distance, but it will not focus into a narrow beam light. However, there are focusable lights as well - you just have to search. If you don't want to use the rechargeable batteries, you can probably use 4 CR123s without the extension tube.

Amazon - SecurityIng® Super Bright Powerful 3800Lm 3X CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight

Hope this helps.

__
    sounds great - just ordered this light. I've gone this approach before but never with such a strong light.