Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flying with Arca Swiss Discovery and Gitzo 1325

Flying with Arca Swiss Discovery and Gitzo 1325

Just a follow-up post after our trip. Quickloads were graciously hand inspected (swab for explosive residue) at both Boston and Los Angeles. The sealed boxes were opened first, but the sealed envelopes inside were left intact. Took the AS Discovery as carry-on without any problems. No problems with the Gitzo as carry-on luggage, except when it was in a duffel bag with another Gitzo and the TSA at Boston made us check the bag. No damage done.

We drove through parts of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I wasn't too impressed with color in Vermont except for Groton State Forest, which was lovely. New Hampshire was fantastic as Ted Harris said. The whole area around the White Mountains was aflame with color. Also went to Acadia National Park in Maine (not impressed) . However, the color between Bangor and Portland was fabulous, and several lighthouses on the coast were great. I set up next to another LF photographer at Neddick Light House and we had an interesting conversation after the light faded.

--John

Flying with Arca Swiss Discovery and Gitzo 1325

I always carry the camera and related equipment on, but I check my tripod in a medium-sized Tenba TTP case, usually with head attached and handles removed or loose, and I've never had a problem.

I usually pass my film through the carry-on X-ray, and sometimes this avoids a hand inspection. I've never had film damaged by X-rays, but I'm more and more worried about inspectors mishandling equipment or inadvertantly opening a box of film. I also try to check things that seem to trigger inspections post-X-ray, like cable releases (look like syringes) and rangefinder cams (look like scissors or blades), and this seems to help.