Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying New Copal Shutters for LF Film Photography?

Buying New Copal Shutters for LF Film Photography?

Is this still possible? The Copal website has no mention of Copal Shutters for use with film cameras...

RR

Re: Buying New Copal Shutters for LF Film Photography?

S.K. Grimes lists them available on their website.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    S.K. Grimes lists them available on their website.

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new...standardcopals
    Where does he get them from?

What is the channel?

RR

B&H lists them too.

Copal has discontinued manufacture of mechanical shutters for LF lenses. There is still new-old stock in the distribution channels, but prices are very high relative to buying second-hand, even buying entire lenses to get the shutters.

Copal shutters are no longer being made, but a few places still have them in stock.

Badger lists Copla #1 in stock.

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...uct_list&c=164

Roger

I can't imagine anyone in their right mind paying over $1,000 last I checked on B&H for a Copal #3. People complain about the high price of sheet film have to begin to appreciate the business shift that is taking place here. Like many I consider myself fortunate to have a slew of Toyo 8x10 holders (and other format holders as well) and sufficient Copal shutters to get me through the dry spell. Hopefully someone will step up and fill the need.

It is more economical to buy a used lens that has the shutter you want.
    Look at Fujifilm lenses on the auction site, for example.

There is nothing wrong with buying used, I do it all the time as do many others. But neither is there any shame in buying new if that is what you want. People support the digital camera industry by purchasing new digital cameras all the time.

There is not a thing wrong with supporting the camera industry, particularly the large format part of it. And you get a brand new shutter as well, one which you will know exactly how it has been treated, used and cared for as you go forward. It will almost certainly outlast a new digital camera of similar price.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post
    There is nothing wrong with buying used, I do it all the time as do many others. But neither is there any shame in buying new if that is what you want. People support the digital camera industry by purchasing new digital cameras all the time.

There is not a thing wrong with supporting the camera industry, particularly the large format part of it. And you get a brand new shutter as well, one which you will know exactly how it has been treated, used and cared for as you go forward. It will almost certainly outlast a new digital camera of similar price.
    The issue here is the long tenured fact that Copal #3 shutters sold for $400 +/- and this is a hard thing to pay up for what is left of inventory at this multiple. Seems like money grubbing to me. The same can be said for the remaining Toyo 8x10 film holders. What concerns me the most is where the new interest in LF and ULF photography is going to come from? Without steady supplies of basic necessities (holders, shutters and lenses) we are in a use what you got mode as long as it lasts. Film is one item I accept is just going to be pricier and I will pay whatever the market price is particularly for good quality control. As far as shutters I am making each "click" count.

Quote Originally Posted by AuditorOne View Post

I agree with you. If one cannot imagine buying a new one it has either limited imagination or the pocket or both.