Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pneumatic shutter needs repair

Pneumatic shutter needs repair

Hi folks,

I have a Zeiss Special shutter like this one http://auction-team.de/new_highlight...04/ph/010.html and I would love to get it back in operational mode (and have someone actually write up a set of instructions on operating procedure for it...).

Who could I send this to and be sure that they won't mess it up? I understand these are tricky to work on, so I would really like to know that it's going to be worked on by someone who has done these types of things before.

Thank you!

Re: Pneumatic shutter needs repair

I would start with Richard Ritter, on this forum, if he can't work on it he may be able to direct you.

Thank you!

.... I am pretty awful at working these forums - how do I contact him? I can't seem to be able to use the search to find him...

This is where you contact Richard Ritter.

http://www.lg4mat.net/

Quote Originally Posted by anton orlov View Post
    .... I am pretty awful at working these forums - how do I contact him? I can't seem to be able to use the search to find him...

Looks like a repairman's/repairwoman's nightmare!

Obviously, Zeiss were not crazy about it too as it was marketed for a very sort period.

Quote Originally Posted by anton orlov View Post
    Hi folks,

I have a Zeiss Special shutter like this one http://auction-team.de/new_highlight...04/ph/010.html and I would love to get it back in operational mode (and have someone actually write up a set of instructions on operating procedure for it...).

Thank you!
    Before you put a lot of money in the repair, think if your really can take pictures with it after the repair. Modern high speed films need much more precise shutter timing than this shutter could offer even bright new. You would probably use only small apertures and long exposures of the "hat" precision anyway. Old slow films were much more forgiving. Somehow these old tools were linked to the use of old photographic materials.

Well, I'm doing wet plate so a hat indeed works just fine for me, I just would love to get it back into working order simply for the fact that it's such a beautiful lens that it's a shame to know it's not to 'factory specs'. For now I'll make a lens cap and get by with it.

On a side note, I have an old Voigtlander Euryscop 7 with a Benster shutter -that one is working and is such a pleasure to operate!

That's what I thought - using wet plate is a suitable material for this kind of shutter. The piston (leather?) in it will surely be degraded and not capable of its correct function. Shutters in this time period were surprisingly primitively constructed because photographers did not need high precision timers. But that was about to change quickly with new films and then came the inevitable - clockwork shutters. It is a pity that these cameras are dependent on the old photographic materials as they look so tempting in our modern times.

Update - Carrol at Flutot's got it humming! She's amazing!