Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMY in 5x7 ?

TMY in 5x7 ?

So are we now out of options for TMY in sheets? I use 5x7, the last custom order nearly used up, and now I see there is no 8x10 to cut down any longer...
    Looks like I'm finally going back to 3x, unless anyone else has any other recommendations for a 5x7 film that's faster than rated 100? No HP5 please...
    Thanks,
    Tyler

Re: Tmy

I'm sure keith at canham will start another order for 8x10 since it seems that b&h and adorama seem to be out and b&h had it on sale for a while before listing it as discontinued. Seems they may not have been selling enough of it to justify making the minimum order from kodak.

There's nothing like tmy if you want a 400asa sheet film so I won't recommend something else.

I find FP4+ has the closest look, but obviously it's not as fast as you want. I still have some 5x7 TMY from the Canham order. I extend it's life by shooting mostly 4x5. Using a 4x5 back on your camera might be a good alternative.

What's wrong with HP5+ or if you have to Foma400? Not the same as TMY2 of course...

Sorry man

Drew Wiley

Getting TMY-2 has been no problem at all in 8x10. Lots of it is getting cut, but in volume batches. Keith Canham routinely offers this, and B&H has has it done. Keith
    has even been getting routine cuts of 8x10 TMX, which is far less popular than TMY at the moment. I think there was also a recent cut of 5x7 TMY, though this is
    done far less frequently. What you want to do is buy a few extra boxes to tide you thru the occasional lean time, between the cuts. Lots of us are using TMY 8x10,
    so its not likely to disappear anytime soon.

I'm deducing that you're only interested in tabular grain films. No? There are plenty of straight grain offerings still out there for 5x7 – Kodak, Ilford, Foma. Perhaps if you can describe what you do not feel you can achieve with those films, we can help you get closer to your goals by moving forward with what is available. FWIW, I'm saving my opened, barely used, boxes and rolls of TMAX and Tech Pan to sell to desperates on eBay so that I can fund my retirement dreams of taking workshops instructing me how to photograph in Yosemite and Death Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I'm deducing that you're only interested in tabular grain films. No? There are plenty of straight grain offerings still out there for 5x7 – Kodak, Ilford, Foma. Perhaps if you can describe what you do not feel you can achieve with those films, we can help you get closer to your goals by moving forward with what is available. FWIW, I'm saving my opened, barely used, boxes and rolls of TMAX and Tech Pan to sell to desperates on eBay so that I can fund my retirement dreams of taking workshops instructing me how to photograph in Yosemite and Death Valley.
    Boxes of TechPan!!

Can I trade you my 70mm tech pan for a 4x5 box? Hah!

Drew Wiley

There's nothing else out there equivalent to TMY - a relatively long straight line at fast speed. Fomapan 200 will give you a long straight line, but at realistically one fourth the speed, and with terrible recip characteristics. HP5 has quite a bit of toe to it, and can't begin to resolve deep shadows in the same manner. ... I could go on and on. I'd really hate to lose a film like TMY in the redwoods here, or up in the mtns or desert, all where the lighting ratios can often be extreme. But it seems to be a very popular film, and I can buy at least 4x5 sheets even locally. I worked with just about every other mainstream film you could mention under these conditions - and yes, while they can be made to work, I find them a lot less versatile and reliable for the extremes I tend to encounter. I do have a soft spot for ACROS up in the high country, due to its lovely orthopan sensitivity; but it's simply too slow for typical 8x10 use other than extremely long exposures where it does have the upper hand. Can't get it here in 5x7 or 8x10 anyway. In softer lighting, many of the other films do superbly. I've got a bunch of 8x10 Tech Pan,
    but never intended it for general shooting, but only for true pan highlight masking during color printing.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    There's nothing else out there equivalent to TMY - a relatively long straight line at fast speed. Fomapan 200 will give you a long straight line, but at realistically one fourth the speed, and with terrible recip characteristics. HP5 has quite a bit of toe to it, and can't begin to resolve deep shadows in the same manner. ... I could go on and on. I'd really hate to lose a film like TMY in the redwoods here, or up in the mtns or desert, all where the lighting ratios can often be extreme. But it seems to be a very popular film, and I can buy at least 4x5 sheets even locally. I worked with just about every other mainstream film you could mention under these conditions - and yes, while they can be made to work, I find them a lot less versatile and reliable for the extremes I tend to encounter. I do have a soft spot for ACROS up in the high country, due to its lovely orthopan sensitivity; but it's simply too slow for typical 8x10 use other than extremely long exposures where it does have the upper hand. Can't get it here in 5x7 or 8x10 anyway. In softer lighting, many of the other films do superbly. I've got a bunch of 8x10 Tech Pan,
    but never intended it for general shooting, but only for true pan highlight masking during color printing.
    You seriously have 8x10 tech pan??! Dude!

C'mon, share some with a brotha'

It would almost be a crime to use 8x10 tech pan just for masking... ;-)