Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

Re: November DEATH VALLEY WORKSHOP with the ESC4P announcement

Well three months later and a lot of red tape conquered by the erstwhile Amanda Tomlin, but we finally got the permits for the Death Valley Workshop. Hope to see some of you there!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Death Valley.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	118384
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: November Workshop with the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography announcement

just fire Dave up with Vindaloo and he is good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura_Campbell View Post
    Dave, if you have questions feel free to contact me at my email address (shown above) or PM me. I anticipate there will be early morning photography, but that doesn't mean you have to attend the early morning sessions during the workshop.

Re: November Workshop with the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography announcement

A great effort and an even greater workshop location! Best of luck.

Join us in Death Valley National Park for a photography workshop benefitting the Eastern Sierra Center for Photography. The workshop is open to all photographers working with film or digital cameras.

Info: http://esc4p.org/DV_WS_100dpi.pdf

Instructors: Kirk Gittings, Jan Pietrzak, Laura Campbell, Amanda Tomlin, Bill Waldron

Yeeeee Haaaaawwww! Should be fun.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Laura_Campbell View Post
    Dave, if you have questions feel free to contact me at my email address (shown above) or PM me. I anticipate there will be early morning photography, but that doesn't mean you have to attend the early morning sessions during the workshop.
    Thanks Laura,
    I missed your post.
    My point was , I was hoping not to have to spend many very early pre dawn hours on the road. Early morning is just the best in DV , as is late evening. Was just hoping all would be in close proximity to camping or lodging area

Re: Death Valley workshop with Kirk Gittings and Jan Pietrzak

Hi Dave,

Base camp will be centrally located at Furnace Creek. Some participants are lodging at the Ranch, some are camping. To answer your question, no, there will not be a lot of pre-dawn hours spent on the road. The locations we're visiting are within the central area of the park. I know Death Valley quite well (as well as its backcountry) having lived and photographed in DV for 18 months. I've led a few meet-ups in the park over the past few years. Being based in Lone Pine, Death Valley continues to be part of my home turf. Hope that helps.

May I suggest that as good business practice you include on the website a short application, waiver form, weather and unforseeable limitations , car rental accommodations, possible air connections, directions to meeting place from different airports, sponsors (f any), services provided, confirmation/posting of licenses, permits and certificates as may be required, etc.

It would also lend more credence to the Easter Sierra Center and its organizing skills.

I don't think this can be something in between an organized, pay-for trip and an informal gathering.

PDM

Waiver forms are not permitted by Death Valley National Park. We would put our permit in jeopardy in asking participants to sign waivers. This is certainly not an event that falls in between an organized fee-based workshop, and an informal gathering. I'll put your suggestions out to the group, and perhaps Jan and Kirk will chime in with their thoughts. Thank you!

I am seriously considering joining the fun and games. While I live in the Silicon Valley Bay Area and have been to Lone Pine and Joshua Tree etc., the rest of PDM's post re: info sounds really good to me. I have not been in DV and all I know is that un-careful people die in DV :-/ so as much info is good!

For example, even things like "best practices on film handling in hot desert Sun" would be a good piece of info.

Thanks.