Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Cambo TWR 54 - 4x5 Twin Lens Reflex (like Gowlandflex) Question...

Re: Cambo TWR 54 - 4x5 Twin Lens Reflex (like Gowlandflex) Question...

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthetique View Post
    I have mine in a Lowepro Pro Trekker 600 AW. It is enormous and has the depth required. It is quite an old bag now, but there are a few around second hand on ebay.
    Thanks for the tip! I'm used to 70+ liter hiking backpacks but the 600AW seems oversized even for a TWR. I may have found a shoulder bag: https://www.manfrotto.com/global/pro...mb-pl-cc-192n/ or their https://www.manfrotto.com/global/pro...mb-pl-cc-193n/. Both should fit with room for sheet holders, light meter and an extra set of lenses and they're not too expensive.

Late to the discussion here with a general question about terminology:

While the cameras being discussed here are indeed twin-lens cameras, how is the term "reflex" being applied? I mean, wouldn't a true TLR look more like, for example...a Rolleiflex TLR - with a ("reflex") mirror being placed at a 45 degree angle behind a top viewing lens?

Come to think of it...would not (or could not) a "true" TLR LF camera be a bit more compact than what is being discussed/illustrated here? I suppose that would depend upon chosen focal length(s). Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post

While the cameras being discussed here are indeed twin-lens cameras, how is the term "reflex" being applied? I mean, wouldn't a true TLR look more like, for example...a Rolleiflex TLR - with a ("reflex") mirror being placed at a 45 degree angle behind a top viewing lens?

Come to think of it...would not (or could not) a "true" TLR LF camera be a bit more compact than what is being discussed/illustrated here? I suppose that would depend upon chosen focal length(s). Am I missing something?
    having the mirror between the lens and a horizontal focus screen forces you to use a fairly large mirror, and retrofocal lenses for wide angle shots, which aren't easy to find for 4x5. having a vertical focus screen and smaller mirror between the focus screen and eyepiece makes the camera less bulky and doesn't limit bellows movement. it also allows you to have a removeable mirror, again making the camera even less bulky.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post

John, I wonder if it could be considered a reflex camera once its mirror viewing box is added, behind the ground glass . . . or would that be considered as "cheating the terminology", you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cambo-twr-mirror-box-from-back.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	244380

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    John, I wonder if it could be considered a reflex camera once its mirror viewing box is added, behind the ground glass . . . or would that be considered as "cheating the terminology", you think?

Name:	cambo-twr-mirror-box-from-back.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	244380
    A Rolleiflex TLR has lens --> mirror --> focus screen;
    the TWR has a slightly different order lens --> focus screen --> mirror.
    The result is identical for both; the projected image is not upside down, only mirrored left-right.
    Conclusion: if the Rolleiflex is a TLR, why wouldn't a TWR be a TLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    A Rolleiflex TLR has lens --> mirror --> focus screen;
    the TWR has a slightly different order lens --> focus screen --> mirror.
    The result is identical for both; the projected image is not upside down, only mirrored left-right.
    Conclusion: if the Rolleiflex is a TLR, why wouldn't a TWR be a TLR?

Agreed!

I just received this bag for my TWR: https://www.camrade.com/products/run...-gunbag-cinema. The camera fits perfectly with room for a lightmeter, extra lenses (if I can find them some day) and film holders (4 will fit under the mirrored viewfinder).

Bags for videocamera's tend to be bigger and will therefore be more suited for a TWR than most regular camera bags. There's also Portabrace, but they're quite a bit more expensive.

Name:	2023-12-13 11.42.59.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	244706
    Last edited by Jeroen; 13-Dec-2023 at 05:46.

@Aesthetique: do you by any chance have 2 lens boards left, and/or a cam for 150mm? Or anyone else? I just bought 2 very nice Voigtlander Apo Lanthar 4.5/150's, one of them even in Compur Press.
    Last edited by Jeroen; 22-Dec-2023 at 03:37.

Sorry for asking, has someone the cams for the 210 and 270mm lenses available?
    Now I have the both 270mm lenses ready mounted on the boards but the cam is missing.
    Also two boards will be nice as well.

hello group,
    if someone is interested : https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/...search_suggest
    not mine