Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newspaper Recognition-Photo/Photographer

Re: Newspaper Recognition-Photo/Photographer

There is nothing wrong with reader submissions but, whether they have paid for them or not, I have never seen a newspaper run photos without credit lines... I live in a small town of 25,000 people and both our small-town local newspapers and even our low-budget weekly free paper run proper attribution for everything they print.

I really have a hard time believing that you are dealing with an actual newspaper here and not some kind of church newsletter or something. Does this "paper" also run stories without bylines?

I'm going out on a limb and suggest that the newspaper is not in North America. Have never heard of a newspaper referred to as hardcover, always newsprint or print edition.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    I'm going out on a limb and suggest that the newspaper is not in North America. Have never heard of a newspaper referred to as hardcover, always newsprint or print edition.
    That was my initial thought too, but a quick Internet shows Raymond lives in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    That was my initial thought too, but a quick Internet shows Raymond lives in Colorado.
    Colorado... Hmm maybe it's in a copy of "high times" and that's why they don't credit people... Anonymity... Haha

They did it again *after* you talked with the editors? Or you talked with them and you have yet submitted work to find out.

I would suggest that a good relationship with the local small town paper is worth far more than getting all excited over credit lines. If they still don't print the credit after you submit next time then stop submitting. Don't make a big to-do about it. The bottom line is that small towns are, well, small. Worth keeping in mind.

--Darin

It looks like Mr. Bleesz lives about 2 hours from me and owns Brush Creek Dry goods, I presume his main income and that he sidelines as a "Fine art" photographer and submits both illustrated and written pieces to the Vail Daily as a "Special to the Vail Daily".

Now, as a former staffer for one of the papers that the greed ball chain bought ( Aspen Times in 2001, I left in 2004 ) I know for a fact that Colorado Mountain News Media does not give a rats ass about the art they fill holes with in order to keep that high paying real estate ad revenue coming in and in all likelihood is not paying Mr. Bleesz a dime or very close to free.

There are very few papers left that actually give a crap about credit lines from Freetographers let alone paying for them and Swift Newspapers who owns CMNM is about the WORST sir. Simply put, they are outright bastards and might have even helped to contribute to the tragic loss of a friend of mine and frankly the entire community's about two months ago.

Not really sure what else to tell you, all these naive amateur photo enthusiasts seem to think a credit line actually means something, as if exposure alone may lead to something that pays in photography.

Not in 2014 folks, in fact all it says is that you got taken advantage of, especially by a POS outfit like CMNM...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    Not really sure what else to tell you, all these naive amateur photo enthusiasts seem to think a credit line actually means something, as if exposure alone may lead to something that pays in photography.
    ^^ In a nutshell. -30-

^^ In a nutshell. -30-
    But my mom would be so proud!

But seriously it's still usable for SOME as a year sheet if it's a good image/article. Not so much without a credit.

But what do I know I'm not successful yet.

When there are no paying jobs out there, what good is a tear sheet ? People with day jobs who moonlight (for little or no pay) are one of several problems in photography.

When there are no paying jobs out there, what good is a tear sheet ? People with day jobs who moonlight (for little or no pay) are one of several problems in photography.
    The problem with ANY art is that often when you are starting out you HAVE to have a second job to survive until your photo work is established, gets better, etc.

The problem isn't that, it's that people are ok working for less, moonlighting is ok if you are asking for the same amount of compensation as the full timers... The problem is that too many accept little pay and it skews the pitch.