Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newspaper Recognition-Photo/Photographer

Newspaper Recognition-Photo/Photographer

Perhaps your thoughts regarding this matter-------Our local paper has a wide read, hardcover as well as electronic. On occasions, I have submitted images which the paper publishes, however, either lazy edigorial practices or other, there is no photo credit given.

What to do??? I brought up this matter to the editors & no response at this time. The paper is good as are the editors. The majority of my submitted images have "historical content". I believe that my images should be recognized with my bye line. Your thoughts on this matter please.

Raymond

Re: Newspaper Recognition-Photo/Photographer

Link to the publication ? If they refuse to budge on the byline, I would suggest you don't submit photos anymore. Can I presume they're not paying for the photos ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have never in my life seen a newspaper that publishes photos without a photo credit line. That's total bush league.

I agree with the others, I would call directly to the legal department and tell them that if they don't print some kind of photo credit or retraction/apology for work submitted they will be sued for image theft. Or some such thing, start by being nice and then get tough. The fact they wouldn't reply to you is BS, a simple apology would be good enough and assurance of photo credit next time.

Sounds like an amateur paper if they don't care about citing photo credit... Is this a college newspaper or something? do they credit others in photos like "staff photographer" or "AP photographer"?

Imo, going legal will get you nowhere, best to just put this in the rear view mirror if you're not getting any traction with the editors. Since you submitted the photos, there's no theft so don't go down that road. Do the submission guidelines mention anything about credits ?

Also, mind if I ask why you're submitting photos ? Do they issue call outs or are you sending on spec ? Just as important, are you getting paid for the submissions ?

If you expect a credit, then when you submit photos, you need to specify that a credit is part of the terms of usage. If you do not specify that, then they are free to assume they may use the images with a credit. Most newspapers will pay for photos that they use. In my area they pay about $50 and provide a credit. But you should never offer photos to be be used without specifying the terms of usage.

2 Bit Hack

Do they have any copyright or licensing information that you have to sign in order to submit? Start there. That will tell you the liability they have.

Just as an aside, you should always check for restrictions when posting photos......in places like FaceBonk. If you post it to your account then they have the right to use it with out notice or compensation. This is why I deleted all my content from there.

When selling a print you should always have some sort of agreement as to your and the buyers rights to the material. I play guitar and have music on several sites. All are free with a common use license, that is the recipient is able do download and use as they see fit but they cannot use the product for monetary gain unless a release is obtained. They have not right to sample the music in any way.

As to rights there are various kinds ranging from free with no restrictions to exclusive (selling your rights to the material). BTW this is why most big music producers own the many of the famous songs and not the musicians. Lawyers love this stuff.

If you don't have a plan concerning your copyrights I would suggest you develop one.
    Regards

Marty

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If you're submitting photos for free, keep in mind that you've become part of the industry movement to eliminate the jobs of professional newspaper photographers. I'm sure the newspaper owners would love to have all their photographers, reporters, editors, and janitors work for free...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

We've had a battle here with the local newspaper going on 50 years off and on. We won (except in the wedding dept.) by making it an absolute firm term of usage.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Unless you have an absolute barn burner of a photograph (Hindenburg type event), newspapers aren't going to negotiate. No way in hell that's ever happening. The flood of images from people happy to see their work in print (not referring to OP) to GWC who has a day job so he can play at sports photographer, well this business is grim. Many pubs don't value photography thus they're happy with reader submissions in many cases…its good enough and fills a hole.