Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Japanese vs German optics

Octogenarian

Modern Japanese vs German optics

Dan,

It has been closer to twenty-five years since Nikon introduced a new, upgraded lens. Fuji introduced their CM-W series of lenses about ten years ago. The CM-W series is an upgraded version of Fuji's W lens series. By designing their lenses so that they have fewer cemented elements, Fuji has been able to make some outstanding improvements and a couple of unusual lenses. For example, the new125CM-W lens has a 204mm. image circle, and, as far as I know, Fuji is the only manufacturer making a 105mm. wide angle lens. Their 450C is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. Because these lens designs have fewer cemented elements, they have more reflective surfaces. Fuji claims that their EBC (electron beam) coating is able to eliminate the reflections that cause internal lens flare. From what I can see, it certainly seems to work.

It has been closer to twenty-five years since Nikon introduced a new, upgraded lens.

Actually, it hasn't been THAT long. Nikon didn't really even start making general purpose large format taking lenses until the late 1970's (about 26 - 27 years ago). The last lenses they indroduced were in the mid-1980s (about 18 - 20 years ago). I'd have to double check my literature collection, but I believe the "newest" LF Nikkors were the Nikkor-AM macro lenses, and some of the longer telephotos. Also, the 200mm Nikkor-M was added sometime in the early 1980s. Nikon entered the LF market with a huge flourish and introduced all the products in their current line-up within a period that spanned about 8 years. Unfortunatey, they haven't introduced anything since.

Fuji introduced their CM-W series of lenses about ten years ago. The CM-W series is an upgraded version of Fuji's W lens series.

Some of the CM-W models were introduced in Spring of 1995, the rest in Spring 1996. This makes them second only to Schneider among the big four (and Cooke, now as well) in terms of recent product introductions.

For completeness, Rodenstock introduced the APO-Sironar-S line in Sept, 1992 and the 55mm APO Grandagon in September 1994. All of their their new products since that time have been targeted at digital or roll film use with none capable of covering large format sheet film sizes.

And, of course, Schneider continues to support us with new products every two years with a new announcement at Photokina.

To get back to the original poster's question, I use lenses from all four major manufacturers, as well as Docter Optics, Congo, Kowa, Carl Zeiss VEB, Goertz, Kodak, Wollensak, etc. They are all "special" in their own way. When I'm in the market for a new lens for a specific need, the last thing I usually consider is the name of the manufacturer.

Kerry

Beverly Hills, California

The one negative 'Brand Thing' that does get my attention is "Schneideritis" which purportedly effects quality and longevity on some of that particular brand's lenses.

I love to get a 72XL one day to add to my Nikon lenses, but "Schneideritis" is a concern.

I'll admit to being a snob. By being patient on eBay I've managed to acquire all late-model Sinarons (expensive Rodenstocks). I have never done any testing between lenses, but I am comforted in knowing that these are probably the best modern glass out available.

Of course you could avoid this dilemma entirely by buying a Wollensak!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White