Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cambo SCX 8x10

cambo SCX 8x10

Hi,
    I need help in making a decision on the purchase.
    I have a possibility of the purchase cambo SCX 8x10 without the lens board (body only) on the rail base of 75 cm in the veeeeery good technical condition for about 620 dollars. Whether is it a good price for these camera?
    I know that it is a Beast but I don't know whether it is a chance whether not.....
    Last edited by jedrzej66; 9-Mar-2014 at 12:43.

Re: cambo SCX 8x10

I don't have the 8x10, but a close friend did and I've shot it along my own 4x5 SCX which I've owned for many years. My take, they are fantastic both as monorail studio cameras and as an interchangeable system camera with lots of accessories. Check the price against finished sales at ebay and KEH if they offer any right now. That may tell you whether this price is a good one. Also, confirm that it is the original ground glass as that would add to the value. Lens boards are easily found and if they are the same as the 4x5 boards (I believe they are), are the same as the Calumet boards of the same size. I believe that all of the boards for the Cambo cameras are the same, so you don't need a specific SCX board. Also confirm that all of the knobs are intact.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

BUY IT! BUY IT!! BUY IT!!!

I have one. These cameras are good! I bought mine, including a reducing back and a couple of accessories, for $1000, a number of years ago. I have seen them for $300 at one time, but the current market is what it is. These are really good cameras.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Thanks for answers.
    Really I would prefer field wooden camera, but their prices are fatal. Cambo isn't too comfortable for using at photographing landscapes - up to it I want to buy 8x10. I am a big boy but I don't know whether I will manage to carry this monster in the field...

I know that I've seen some European manufacturers of wood field cameras, and I know that they were discussed on the forum. I use my 8x10 for "trunk" photography -- see something, open the trunk, pull camera out, photograph it, put the camera back in the trunk. If something interesting requires a walk, I use a smaller camera.

The Cambo weighs about 18 pounds (8kg), and my old Bogen tripod weighs more than that. If the weight is too much, then wait for an older wooden field camera.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Yes I know that it is not a camera for walking with her on the shoulder
    Now I am more and more close to the purchase. There is in the set also a reduction to 4x5. In case of the crisis...
    Another question: Holders from fidelity, lisco will fit to cambo?

Yes, Fidelity and Lisco will fit just fine. That is what I have, along with one Toyo. The 4x5 adapter is just great, it's a really good little design.

Thank You Brian! I think that tomorrow I will buy this cambo.
    All the best!!!

And I received a photo from cambo seller. He is attaching it in the set. I don't know what it is used for...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0001.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	111919

I already know - it is a lens hood
    But is it complete? Whether still are needed any parts to install it?

It is a compendium lens shade - the most useful piece of equipment you will ever have, especially if shooting outside...
    It looks complete, and you do not need anything to install, it goes right on the front standard of any Cambo SC camera ever made.