Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what support is good for my Wisner 11x14?

what support is good for my Wisner 11x14?

I got my Wisner 11x14 finally. The problem is I only have Gitzo gt 3540ls + g1570m, the tripod is good since capacity is 40lbs, but support g1570m's capacity is only 22 lbs and the camera is weight 27 lbs by itselp without lens and film holder. I know ries A-250 could handle my camera, but it looks pretty heavy (6lbs). What other support is good for my requirement?

Re: what support is good for my Wisner 11x14?

Wow! Wish I knew the answer, but will be very interested to hear what others recommend. I have the Gitzo 1570 and an Induro aluminum tripod good up to 44lbs., I think. 27lbs is pretty hefty but I bet a fine camera.

For my Chamonix 11x14" (#7kg), I use a stativ Uni 14 Berlebach (good up to 50 kg according to the manufacturer).
    So good!

Although I don't shoot ULF yet, I use a Linhof 003323, which I found used for $150.00 Canadian.
    I don't think I'd hesitate using it even for something that big.
    Although Linhof doesn't show a weight rating for it on their website they do call it their sturdiest 2 section tripod, for all applications.

In the desert...

I use the majestic for Wisner 14 x 17 , geared center column and geared tilt. They are often on the used market at very low prices.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I have that head and I think that the only problem you'll have with it is downward drift. I use it with a Toyo 810G which with a Schneider 360 Symmar-S the total weight approaches the heads published limit and I have to apply some torque to keep it from drifting.

Thoma

My largest tripod is a Quickset Hercules I bought from Navy Surplus (DRMO) with matching dolly. I don't use it much because the largest format I use is 8X10, but when I do need it, nothing else will do. I also have a Majestic and a modified Benbo that takes the Majestic geared head. I use the Benbo in the field most of the time.

I may need to clarify my question: I am ok for my tripod, I need to find a support (head) to replace my gitzo g1570M such as Ries A-250-2.

Quote Originally Posted by originalphoto View Post
    I may need to clarify my question: I am ok for my tripod, I need to find a support (head) to replace my gitzo g1570M such as Ries A-250-2.
    You have to think through 2 issues - holding the weight as well as managing the vast shift in weight distribution inherent in using anything bigger than an 8x10.

As such, you may have to rethink your tripod and head, as the weight capacity literally have nothing to do with how well it will work with your 11x14 along these two dimensions. The Gitzo models you mentioned were not designed to support a 30-lb monstrosity that will be stretched out with at least 15 inches of bellows and used in the wind (or even a breeze).

Best case, you will have to wait for the camera to settle down before you make an exposure, much like what you need to do when enlarging with the lamphouse way up on the column. More worrisome would be when you are outside and the wind starts to blow even a little bit, your Wisner bellows will act like a sail and tip that nice Gitzo over without even trying. This can be counteracted somewhat with putting weight on the hook at the bottom of the column, but that dainty little thing (and the thread on the inside of the column holding it on) is not meant to take the weight of a cement block, which may be what you require to stabilize the 30+ lbs rig you have on top. Even if you only shoot inside, you have the other problem - the longer bellows extension at indoor distances will move your center of gravity well past the center column and a head not designed for the weight shift will not stop moving, no matter how long you wait.

One important aspect of tripod stability for large format cameras that is seldom discussed now is the size of the platform. With your Wisner 11x14, you have at least a 14"x14" bedplate onto which the tripod screw secures. Do you think a 77mm (3.1") diameter platform will likely hold it still? No way. A 6" x 8" platform like the ones that came with the old Davis & Sanford or Quickset heads may be more suitable. And these were intended only for 8x10, not 11x14. The bigger the tripod platform you have, the more stable your 11x14 will be. It's physics.

So I am with Neal above - your safe bet is a Quickset Hercules tripod with their 4-52217-3 geared head, or at least a Linhof Heavy Duty 003323 with their 003368 head - the Linhof is a second choice because it still has a small platform at 90mm. But they are serious tripods and heads that were made to keep precision military and astronomical instruments as still as possible because even the most minute movement is seriously magnified by the high powered optics. You have the same requirements - its called bellows extension.

Good luck.

thanks a lot, very helpful.