Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: One Tripod to Rule Them All?

Re: One Tripod to Rule Them All?

whelp..if I was FORCED..gunpoint maybe..to pick just one

and my 8x10 was a reasonable weight (unlike green monster)... I would look for a medium heavy twin shank Linhof ..or

and this is a bit crazy.. a Bolex aluminium tripod with a 1047 3way head -light, sturdy, cheap enough and it holds my linhof 5x7 tech easily - which weights a lot. The drawback is it doesn't get really low

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I beg to differ; I use my one tripod for 6x7 up to 8x10, and if I shot 11x14 or micro 4/3, I would use the same tripod.

I disagree again; there are many viable, light-ish tripods on the market that do a very good job of holding heavier gear very securely.

Agree there; these days, the best compromise on weight, stability and price seems to be CF.
    Not my opinion. A light weight tripod is a bad option by definition. The best tripod is a breakwater concrete block with a 3/8" thread on it, but it cannot be carried... so there are tripods instead.

As mentioned above, light tripods are nice, but they are compromise solutions because we don`t want to carry heavy loads. The best tripod or camera base should be free of any transmission, so the bigger the mass the better.

And I agree with you about one tripod fits all... whenever it is big enough for the biggest load. A small lightweight tripod could be a choice for the 4/3, but obviously not for an old wooden 11x14.

I think it`s not only about just holding securely... it must be a solid base, free of any vibration transmission. Those who only want something "to hold" the camera, for sure will be fine with any quality tripod (and head, obviously). This is the reason I asked the OP if he is just looking for this, or if he really want a good base.

FWIW, I settled with Gitzo tripods (some french, some italian, they both look identical), my older ones are aluminum which I consider simply better for the camera. But again, better to go out for a shoot with a lighter tripod than to stay at home because the load to carry is unbearable.

If I had to choose one from my tripods to take for the rest of my life in a desert island (not likely), I`d like to have a series 5 aluminum one with me, but it really is a pain to carry. So I`d take a series 3 CF from Gitzo, in three leg sections, no center column. But I don`t shoot 11x14"... outdoors, I use to shoot up to 4x5" with lightweight cameras (sporadically, 5x7").

I use a Camera Equipment Co. Jr for my 8x10 and sometimes other cameras, down to 5x7.
    I use a Crown No. 4 when I have to walk far, it's much lighter but less sturdy and less tilt.
    I use a Craig's Thalhammer for 4x5, but sometimes the above.
    I use a Crown No. 2 for 4x5 and smaller when I want wood.
    I use a cheapo aluminum "tripod" with all the plastic cranks and leg locks when I want super light, for 35mm and small digital.

I cannot imagine using the same tripod for every task.

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Not my opinion. A light weight tripod is a bad option by definition. The best tripod is a breakwater concrete block with a 3/8" thread on it, but it cannot be carried... so there are tripods instead.

As mentioned above, light tripods are nice, but they are compromise solutions because we don`t want to carry heavy loads. The best tripod or camera base should be free of any transmission, so the bigger the mass the better.
    In his book series, Ansel talks about how his heavy tripod had just the right resonance with the ground and would transmit vibrations, despite it's weight.

Stability and transmission has less to do with the mass and more to do with how the weight's distributed / resonance freq.

Ron Miller

I've got 1 tripod, a Gitzo carbon fibre that I use for 4x5, 6x6, 645, 617, and digital. Has served me will with an arca swiss ballhead. You do have to rig a little weight between the legs if you're standing in a river or in a bit of wind though. And my hiking is limited to about 12 hours so not sure how it fares on backcountry hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    ... Stability and transmission has less to do with the mass and more to do with how the weight's distributed / resonance freq.
    ____

Speaking of 'Resonant Fequency' (The natural frequency or frequencies of any physical system or object at which it will vibrate if physically disturbed)... The material used in the Legs of a Tripod (i.e. Aluminum, Carbon Fiber, Maple, Ash etc.) can greatly affect the Attenuation and/or Transmission of Resonant Frequencies.

My personal opinion (*From a vibration point of view)... Is that a Wood tripod is usually -- More 'suitable' than a Metal tripod.

http://www.berlebach.de/anleitungen/91.pdf

--
    All of the Photographers on the forum who are are also interested in High End Audio ('Audiophiles')... Are well aware of Resonant Frequencies and their effects.

Hmm. Indeed. Also with my experience of a medium weight tripod has been that it's not a very stable one (holds the weight unsteady)

Curious. Why would you say wood's better than metal? Afaik both resonate w a good range-else musical instruments would be with different material?

OK. Who has the heaviest tripod and head combo?

Not counting studio stands or truck rigs.

I will weigh my monster later today and post with picture.

May as well have the absolute lightest also, but I have nothing to compete there.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    OK. Who has the heaviest tripod and head combo? ...
    The A100 and A250 head (Ries), according to the website, comes in at about 17 pounds...perhaps a few more ounces over that.

I carry it almost fully extended for better balance, more comfortable to carry over a shoulder (no knobs resting on my shoulders) and easier to set on the ground while hiking to take the weight off my knees when stepping up or down.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    OK. Who has the heaviest tripod and head combo?

Not counting studio stands or truck rigs.

I will weigh my monster later today and post with picture.

May as well have the absolute lightest also, but I have nothing to compete there.
    Linhof 003323 Heavy Duty Pro tripod with the Large Geared Center Post and the 003669 Profi 3 Universal Pan/Tilt Head = 31.4 lbs.

If you use the 003672 Precision Micro Cradle Head then you would add another 3 pounds.