Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hanging 44" prints

Hanging 44" prints

This might not be the right forum, but, I'm trying to figure out the most cost effective way to hang my 44" x 60" prints. I know that I can get them framed, at considerable cost.

Any other thoughts?

Drew Wiley

Re: Hanging 44" prints

Just depends how nice you want them to look. Thumbtacks are cheap. But lamination ain't, nor any other attractive solution I can think of.

Yeah, not thumbtacks. I remember the Black Rapid folks had a cable hanging system in their gallery space in Seattle.

Get them framed or mount them on acrylic, DiBond if the subject can be presented without frame. I print my real large images on metal ... higher cost but takes care of the framing challenge ...

Framing doesn't have to be all that expense. They can reduce your costs by just using regular glass instead of none glare and possible using some blemished framing material. Plus calling around will save you more than you can imagine.
    Then you know that it should be done right, and your picture should last for decades.
    Another option is just have it mounted on foamboard and hang that.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    Any other thoughts?
    Let me get this straight. You're looking for a nonuniform way to hang large prints? Wouldn't you be the authority?

Drew Wiley

Let's see ... for a print that big you're using up most of a sheet of acrylic anyway... so there goes $150 or so before you ever actually frame it. Handling regular
    glass that size??? Big window there. Hope you know what you are doing.... Just mounting on fomeboard? Well there are only so many ways to do that... and about
    the only cheap way is wet mounting, which is an acquired skill. But regular fomeboard isn't very flat to begin with, so it might not look so good. And you'll probably
    have to countermount it to keep it from warping. Maybe time for a reality check. Big prints are fine, but they inherently need a bigger budget to display.
    But then there's always thumbtacks!

DIY only goes so far. If you are having these digitally printed somewhere, they must offer some sort of mounting/backing option.

Sure it's cheap to buy prints in tubes, but...

Then make the big frame and be real careful with the glass.

Well, I think the last thing I want to do is permanently mount anything on either foamcore or metal/dibond.

Drew Wiley

Lawyers absolutely love big sheets of untempered glass literally hanging in public spaces, and not affixed to a wall. Hmmm... And Dibond? That's sorta an antonym
    to affordable isn't it. And those nice premium sheets of board like Gator and Ultra don't exactly absorb wet glue... so that kinda leaves any cheap method of mounting
    off the table... Find a wholesale frame shop with the right gear to do it, and negotiate a volume rate. Everyone seems to want to make big prints nowadays for
    some reason... but there is a catch if you want to doing something with them