Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hanging 44" prints

Re: Hanging 44" prints

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I spent some time exploring options this weekend, and I've figured out a way to hang the prints. I'll document it once I have it complete. Note, it doesn't include permanently mounting the prints to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    So, I'm not sure, is this response designed to help me with my quest for displaying my prints?
    I've made every mistake in the book including this one-making large prints before considering how they will be hung and the costs and effort involved. Just sharing hard earned experience. You don't want it fine.

I am sitting at my desk at the university just outside a public gallery that has a prestigious one man show with many fine large prints done by an acquaintance of mine. The expensive presentation method is failing (shadow boxed Dibond mounted prints) and the show will have to be pulled down for safety sake long before the show is scheduled to come down. Not good for the pocket book or the reputation. He had never done his prints this way. So the moral of the story I guess is test it first before hanging a show in a public venue. I made a similar mistake last year when I sold the largest print I ever had, 30x60. I had a professional framer do it but it was a method they had not done before but assured me it would work. I planned well in advance but it failed after a couple of weeks on my clients wall.........my mistake don't try new untested methods on clients. You will look like an amateur.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

+1, meaning Kirk

Death Before Digital matthew klos's Avatar

Well said Kirk, not sure why this thread is still even being talked about.

I frame 20x50 prints using a 35x65 frame, double matted, and real glass all the time. In fact, that size is my best selling size.

It cost me around $130 to $150 to frame. If I have a whole sale framing company do it, then it is around $1000. Currently, I mount and assemble all of my prints on my dining room table. However, I am in the process of designing and building a two story framing studio next to my house. The second attached photo is the back of a smaller print I framed, but I use the same picture wire configuration to transfer the weight of the print to the bottom member of the frame for my biggest stuff as well. They are not light. I also crate them and ship them all over the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2291.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	111998 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1768.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	111999

Hope this helps...

I haven't re-entered this discussion because it seemed to me you are truly looking for something no one here is willing to countenance. If you change your mind, you can present prints yourself in classical fashion, without sending them out. That is the sole purpose of this article and video, Print Presentation.

While I agree in principal with everything in this video, I think, based on my experience, that it very seriously under represents the difficulties of dry mounting very large prints in a small press. I have this same size press and I will not do anything larger than 20x24. Its sooo easy to make a small mistake and ruin a very expensive and difficult to make large print (especially in silver) that I prefer to have a professional framer with a large press do it.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Stephen, your mailbox is full.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Stephen, your mailbox is full.
    Hey Peter, I just cleaned out my mail box. Thanks for letting me know....

Drew Wiley

I've done all kinds of experiments over the years, and have deliberately hung large prints in abusive environments just to see what happens over the long haul. One
    thing I learned is that you cannot rely on hearsay. Different climates and display environments present somewhat different challenges. I've got a pretty well-equipped personal frame shop, but still, there are a lot of things I won't try. Drymounting is just about the easiest and most reliable method of mounting per se, but even it has its rules; and it rarely works with color prints. Shoestring galleries around here don't even bother. They just pin the big inkjets or whatever to the wall and let the potential buyer worry about it. Looks hokey, but.... Afterwards comes the rude awakening that the cost of framing might be more than the initial purchase itself. And even if you do successfully provide this service up front, what do you pay yourself for it? Is your own time and overhead free?