but I'll try to give it a go.

I realise that this forum will have any number of 'religious fanatics' - religious about LF and film that is ... but I am on a bit of an edge. A "Do I, or don't I ?" kind of edge.

Given the current state of the industry - the new Harman papers, the fall of manufacturers, the slight increase in take up in analog photography etc, etc. would you recommend investing into a darkroom of more serious dimensions ?

In another way, can the digital printing world really produce an archive print ? Is it only a matter of time ?

I think the archivability is the only real issue that might separate the analogue and digital worlds to be honest. To the ordinary person off the street I'm sure that the digital simulation is good enough and quite frankly, they probably assume it is digital. I'm not sure they value analogue. Museum curators value longevity. There is no argument from the analogue side but are these curators happy with digital ?

So. Please just the cold hard facts. Try to keep the belief systems at bay !

Let's say a figure of 15 - 20k for the darkroom cost - that should keep some emotions out of it! Would you do it ?

I guess at that figure you'd want to be getting a return on investment even if that return were to take 5 - 8 years to be realised so that means making it a hired darkroom.

I'm thinking its all a bit much really but I'd value some insight especially if you think there is a niche market or product that can be gained through the darkroom process.

Cheers !

Steve