Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what camera can I get on $1,000?

what camera can I get on $1,000?

Hello
    I am borrowing money from parents to buy a 4x5 field camera, if i have $1,000
    what used camera can I get ? I know there is one made in China, I never remember the name, Chinox...something

Thank you for your comments in advance.

Re: what camera can I get on $1,000?

The Chamonix is a Chinese camera with a French name. They turn up used occasionally but hold their value well.

If you want a wooden field camera also look at Shen Hao and Tachihara. Wista's are nice if you can find one in your price range.

If you don't mind metal the Toyo's are great.

Just remember you will need a tripod, lens, film holders, etc.

thank you for the comments Alan. I will have to get one or two lenses and few film holders to start. ...

also where to buy film holder? god i know nothing!

Since you are on a budget I would recommend buying used film holders either from someone on this forum or Ebay.

Just advertise on the forum's For Sale Section that you are looking to buy 4x5 film holders in nice shape.

what camera can I get on $1,000?

I have so many extra film holders for 4x5, I'll sell them to you for $15 a piece. All fidelity / lisco regal style.plastic ones. As many as you want.

And for $1000 I would expect you can only get about 1 lens in the $150-$200 range and one decent used camera like a toyo45a for $500-$650 so you'll be playing it really tight. But it's do-able.

For the lens you could start with the standard 150mm if you want something relatively good but cheap because there are an abundance, or 210mm if you want a little longer focal length but still can be gotten reasonably.

SINAR - a whole outfit including a lens if you look around a bit.

2 Bit Hack

When searching ebay for 4x5 view camera. You will get quite a few items. I have found that you really need to dig. I found some good deals that way. There are a couple decent Horseman 450 with lens on there right now within your budget. But they are heavy. There are a whole lot of Calumet CC-400's with and with out lenses. Some come with lenses and boards as well as holders and some even have a case. But be careful of the bellows and ground glass condition. These have all the movements of a pro camera but they are not graduated like the newer horseman or toyo.

if they have field camera
    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    SINAR - a whole outfit including a lens if you look around a bit.

KEH.com is probably your best bet. I buy a lot of stuff from them and it's usually priced better than ebay and even here. With ebay, quality is hit or miss and a lot of stuff is mis-marked because many sellers have no idea whet they are selling. Here you can find a lot of good quality stuff and sellers are usually honest and reliable, but people tend to ask high prices. Of course that can depend, but if there is a really good deal on this forum, it will usually get snatched up pretty quickly.

Keh is great and you can buy their bgn rated items and always get things that are like new. Last time I bought from them I scored 6-4x5 fidelity elite film holders (the second best film holders available IMO) for $6 a piece after shipping. They were rated bgn, but minus a little writing on the label, they were perfect.

Anyway, that has been my experience. Ymmv.