Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

Re: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

The newest Riteway holders (with the automatic slide lock) have a pair of transparent disks on each side that imprint numbers outside the image edge.
    Each disk has numbers 0 through 9.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I just do not have a great need to know that information...the bookkeeper part of me is easily over-powered by the artist part.

I do have some holders that have very small holes drilled into the metal strips that hold the film in on the long sides of the 8x10 holders.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Simple---name your film holders like I do!
    Manny, Moe, and Jack for starters and Patty, Maxine & LaVerne. Have more film holders? Larry, Curly, Moe(wait that one's already taken) Shemp. Got only two film holders? Lewis and Martin or Steve and Edie!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Gaffer's tape..I'm gonna have to make a Youtube video. to demonstrate.

An interesting thread. I'd like to know how you mark the outsides of the holders so at a glance you can know which one needs extra development for example. And no I'm not talking about post-it notes. I keep field notes on the phone but I need a way to mark the holders so I know which number gets special treatment. Maybe I should have started another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Simple---name your film holders like I do!
    Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Gaffer's tape..I'm gonna have to make a Youtube video. to demonstrate.
    And how do those methods transfer automatically to the film, like an edge imprint does?

Imprinting enables you to correlate the developed negative to the shooting log.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

My holders are numbered, 1, 2, 3, etc. With a side A and a side B. In my log book, I write down all the info I need...including a very rough drawing of the image going onto the film. I suppose the drawing substitutes for otherwise marking the film. I print, and often show, the film's rebate in my prints, so prefer not to have notches, numbers or whatever showing in the image.

Development decisions are made once I am back home -- the range of light values recorded in the logbook lets me know , though sometimes I might indicate a preference in the logbook on-site.

All the logbook info gets transferred to the envelope the negative is stored in. No possible loss of info due to losing the logbook or having a hard drive or device fail.

I loaded up 20 or so 8x10 holders and five 11x14 holders last night -- ready to hit the road tomorrow morning for 9 day of photographing on the eastside of the Sierras (and a day or two in Yosemite Valley on the way back!) And 10 rolls of 120 for the Rolleiflex. Now I just have to get all the other stuff packed up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NotebookPageSample.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    An interesting thread. I'd like to know how you mark the outsides of the holders so at a glance you can know which one needs extra development for example. And no I'm not talking about post-it notes. I keep field notes on the phone but I need a way to mark the holders so I know which number gets special treatment. Maybe I should have started another thread...
    But yeah - Post-its attached to the slide, and the non-gummed edge inserted into the space between the flap and the dark slide. That way, it won't fall off. Non-permanent holder marking.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

2 Bit Hack

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...I loaded up 20 or so 8x10 holders and five 11x14 holders last night -- ready to hit the road tomorrow morning for 9 day of photographing on the eastside of the Sierras (and a day or two in Yosemite Valley on the way back!) And 10 rolls of 120 for the Rolleiflex. Now I just have to get all the other stuff packed up.
    I lived in Mammoth for a few years. I would love to return............with about 200 loaded holders. Great time of year if there is snow. Good luck!

I will be checking my film holders when I get home. They are used so I have no idea if any are notched. Yes, n00b here.

Twenty 8x10 holders should be good for the week (that is about half of the number of 4x5 sheets I exposed in New Zealand on a 6-month trip) -- though I suppose I should toss in the box and a half of Tri-X that I have on hand 'just in case'.

You must be a n00b -- do you know how much work developing 400 sheets of 8x10 would be?! Yikes! I am masochistic enough carrying 60 pounds of 8x10 (have not weighed t he 11x14 kit yet) without adding more to the darkroom side of things!