Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

Re: Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    Do you really need to know the numerical value, anyway? If you write down the holder in your exposure records, you can just fill in e.g. "1011" as the filmholder used for the exposure. That happens to equal 11 decimal, but it might not matter.

The only time I actually use my notch code is when I find light leaks.
    Good point

There are only 10 type of people. ...those that under binary and those that don't

Film Holder Coding - Notching, Drilling, or Whatever ...

I've been thinking about this, and if I were to do something like this, what I would do is simply in the notch area of the film holder I would place a small number that was reflective and so when the image was exposed the reflective surface which shine back up through the film and overexpose that area causing A number t0 appear, probably obviously an inverse image, a semi circle with silver reflective material and then a number etched out of that

Quote Originally Posted by Collas View Post
    I used a similar system. Thin file for the 1s, a V cut for the fives (Roman numerals), and a wide flat cut for the tens.

Nick
    Similar to what I do. My Roman numeral notch system is as follows:

I use a small round notch for the "ones" (let's call it a "." here), a "v"-shaped notch for five, a small square notch for 10 (□) an "L" shaped notch for 50 (upside down actually, so it can be filed into the flap) and a large round notch (U) for 100.

Examples: .v = 4; □□□v... = 39; □L.v = 54; □U.□ = 99, etc. This seems to work well for me. You need a set of small files and you only have to notch the inside flap (be sure to clean the holders thoroughly after filing). If you notch right-to-left, the notches will read correctly on the negative.

Best,

Doremus

hacker extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've been thinking about this, and if I were to do something like this, what I would do is simply in the notch area of the film holder I would place a small number that was reflective and so when the image was exposed the reflective surface which shine back up through the film and overexpose that area causing A number t0 appear, probably obviously an inverse image, a semi circle with silver reflective material and then a number etched out of that
    That's a really neat idea that doesn't require anything over-top of the film. I would be interested in knowing if it will work through the films' anti-halation backing. I have seen similar schemes where people laser-print numbers onto transparency film and then glue it to the underside of the flap, so that when the flap folds down it ends up on top of the film and exposes a number into it. The problem I have with schemes like that is that typically they cost some film real-estate...kind of like those grafmatic number wheels. But most of all, I don't have the energy for such elaborate schemes.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    There are only 10 type of people. ...those that under binary and those that don't
    That should have been understand not under.

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    That should have been understand not under.
    I undered it.

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    That's a really neat idea that doesn't require anything over-top of the film. I would be interested in knowing if it will work through the films' anti-halation backing. I have seen similar schemes where people laser-print numbers onto transparency film and then glue it to the underside of the flap, so that when the flap folds down it ends up on top of the film and exposes a number into it. The problem I have with schemes like that is that typically they cost some film real-estate...kind of like those grafmatic number wheels. But most of all, I don't have the energy for such elaborate schemes.
    Well if instead of putting it at the bottom, you put it on the left or right side of the bottom where the image widens, it might be possible, this would have to be done OVER the film though. That said, I hadn't thought about the anti halation layer and might make my idea useless... Hmm I'll try it...

I picked up my notching system from Alan Ross. It is Roman, using a set of jeweler's files he kindly gave me: narrow flat for 1, triangular v-shaped for 5, and round for 10.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles