Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight Hikers

Drew Wiley

Re: Ultralight Hikers

That looks like a wonderfully fun trip, Garrett; but does it count without lugging view camera gear? I mean, is one allowed to do that??? You should be investing in
    my helium-filled bellows patent before the stock goes public. The bigger the camera, the less it weighs!

That's a dandy idea, and just crazy enough to work. Heading to grocery store for balloons....

Funny story, I did take an "old" lens, a Pen-F on my Fuji digital X-E1. The battery had a fresh charge. Half way up there (3 hour bushwack/creekhack hike to the cave and hot springs), the low battery started flashing...then gone. Only got about 8 shots. No, I didn't have a spare. Pics taken with my daughter's point and shoot. So I "lugged" the deadweight of a cam and lens anyway!

Drew Wiley

I remember a long week in a southwestern canyon where we saw nobody else the whole time. I packed my Sinar 4x5 system, but didn't want to leave the 6x7 gear
    in the car all that time, so my nephew volunteered to pack it with him. But he wasn't particularly amused when I never took a single shot with the 6x7 the entire trip. Plus we were carrying gallon jugs of water, around 85lb apiece. Eventually I learned, the less stuff the better. Extra meter battery, extra red filter, extra sunglasses (always). No second camera system.

Stephen, any news with the new tent? How did it perform?

Also, wondering if you'll ever get back to me on my question

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Stephen, any news with the new tent? How did it perform?

Also, wondering if you'll ever get back to me on my question
    Hi Stone,

I ended up purchasing the MSR Elixir 2 man tent because it uses heavier more durable materials. It does weigh more by about a pound, but with llamas that is not an issue. The bottom line for me is I need a tent that will hold up to the elements for 60 to 90 days a years, years after year. I also like the fact that the Elixir use a more opaque silver fly that will reflect more light and help keep the tent cooler on sunny alpine days. In the alpine, hot tents can be a big issue, especially in Wind River where there are few canopies of trees.

The tent has the exact same design as its lighter sister the Hubba Hubba tent, so I get all of the features that motivated me to replace my existing tent in the first place. I had it setup in my backyard for several weeks and slept in it for five nights. I loved it.

If I need to go lightweight, then I will us my Gore Tex bivy bag which weights a little over a pound.

-Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post
    Hi Stone,

I ended up purchasing the MSR Elixir 2 man tent because it uses heavier more durable materials. It does weigh more by about a pound, but with llamas that is not an issue. The bottom line for me is I need a tent that will hold up to the elements for 60 to 90 days a years, years after year. I also like the fact that the Elixir use a more opaque silver fly that will reflect more light and help keep the tent cooler on sunny alpine days. In the alpine, hot tents can be a big issue, especially in Wind River where there are few canopies of trees.

The tent has the exact same design as its lighter sister the Hubba Hubba tent, so I get all of the features that motivated me to replace my existing tent in the first place. I had it setup in my backyard for several weeks and slept in it for five nights. I loved it.

If I need to go lightweight, then I will us my Gore Tex bivy bag which weights a little over a pound.

-Stephen
    Gotcha,

I ended up deciding I will use my existing tent for now, it still works, and ill just hope it falls apart this year so I can get something with side exists, that's the thing I miss... Lol.

Best of luck with your first serious trip!

Drew Wiley

You're a young guy, Stone, so why do you need an ultralight? Just save up a small percent of your vast wealth and get a side door Bibler.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    You're a young guy, Stone, so why do you need an ultralight? Just save up a small percent of your vast wealth and get a side door Bibler.
    Because I'm young and also wise from those who came before me with bad knees and feet and gout and who struggle to hike now because they took on too much when they were young...

Drew Wiley

"Young" and "wise" don't fit well in the same sentence. And what would Vittorio Sella think about this "ultralight" philosophy of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    "Young" and "wise" don't fit well in the same sentence. And what would Vittorio Sella think about this "ultralight" philosophy of yours?
    Who?