Thread: Yellowstone

Yellowstone

It seems quite a while since there was a thread on visiting Yellowstone, so things may have changed a little.

If I wanted to visit Yellowstone for 5 nights arriving 3rd October, should I pre book everything or take pot luck when I get there, and should I stay in any particular area? Lets assume that I want to do large format lanscape and digital wildlife photography. In fact, is this even a good time to visit?

It has been suggested that I stay all nights in West Yellowstone and travel into the park each day but this sounds like a lot of un-necessay driving, and limiting myself to a small area of the park.

Can anyone recomend a circular route inside the park staying at different accomadation each night, or 2 nights if you think somewhere is extra special. Lets try and keep driving to less than 100 miles per day so there is plenty of time to stop and photograph things.

Many thanks
    Bruce

Re: Yellowstone

It's a brilliant time to be there. As the weather gets colder, everything changes as the animals buckle down for winter. You ought to call the office for the lodging inside the park. That's quite late in the year there and a lot of spots will be closed already or will close while you are there. I know the Old Faithful Snow Lodge will be open then. I'm not sure about others. Be ready for cold and for snow. Chilly temperatures are fairly certain. Snow is a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    It seems quite a while since there was a thread on visiting Yellowstone, so things may have changed a little.

If I wanted to visit Yellowstone for 5 nights arriving 3rd October, should I pre book everything or take pot luck when I get there, and should I stay in any particular area? Lets assume that I want to do large format lanscape and digital wildlife photography. In fact, is this even a good time to visit?

It has been suggested that I stay all nights in West Yellowstone and travel into the park each day but this sounds like a lot of un-necessay driving, and limiting myself to a small area of the park.

Can anyone recomend a circular route inside the park staying at different accomadation each night, or 2 nights if you think somewhere is extra special. Lets try and keep driving to less than 100 miles per day so there is plenty of time to stop and photograph things.

Many thanks
    Bruce
    -Chris

Re: Yellowstone

This is an official site with road information: http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm

The sidebar there has all kinds of useful information regarding camping and lodging of the indoor sort inside the park.
    -Chris