Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ball head or geared head for a 4x5 camera?

Re: Ball head or geared head for a 4x5 camera?

Thanks all. I'm glad I asked the question as my original inclination was to get a ball head, like the RRS BH-55. I may still get it for my other gear, but it looks like Manfrotto 410 is the one I will get for the Toyo. I really like how the G1570M P/T head looks, but it's massive! Are there any less massive, but good Pan/tilt heads?

Anil

The Manfrotto 229 is a little smaller, but PT heads are a bulky lot by nature.
    There is an Induro PT head with handles that fold away, but it has seen mixed reviews on its stability.

Thanks Ari. I guess is "smaller" is a relative term as the 229 is still over 4 pounds :-) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Pro_Head.html

Yes, Anil, it is definitely a relative term.
    But the 229 is "relatively" compact and is a real workhorse.

Going lighter and smaller means opting for a ball head.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post

Just to point out, most of us, including me, will not have been able to try a bunch of the alternatives, such as the hybrid FLM ball heads. Heads are too expensive to constantly be changing. ( dpreview just did a big comparison of ball heads.) I've had an Arca B1 for years. It works well for smaller formats when speed matters more than precision framing, such as for dslr/35mm portraits. A friend has a Really Right Stuff BH-55, which is nicer than my old Arca.

The 410 head is very good for 4x5 field cameras. The knobs don't stick out very far. They're easy to use. The camera plate is pretty big and rubber coated, which makes the camera less likely to twist on the plate. Some filed cameras need a really big mounting plate (Gitzo, Ries...)to gain rigidity, such as my Kodak 8x10 2D, but the Toyo doesn't have that problem. In addition it's limited to a 300mm lens, unless you'll add the extension back(s). If you did that, and hence used a really long lens, then you might want a stronger head than the 410, but for standard use the 410 works just fine.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Yeah, that makes sense; especially based on this thread and a little more research online. The 410 seems like a good compromise that works for most of my use cases. Just for fun, I did a quick table with some of the heads of interest; the load/weight ratio of the ball heads is amazing when compared with geared heads or P/T head. But you do lose the precise, independent control of different axes, not to mention the smaller surface area of contact.

Name Type QR? Wt (lbs) Load (lb) Price
    Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Yes 2.7 11 $270
    Gitzo 1570M Pan/Tilt No 2.9 22 $335
    RRS BH-55 Ball head Yes 1.9 50 $455
    RRS BH-40 Ball head Yes 1.1 18 $375
    Manfrotto 405 Geared Yes 3.5 16.5 $460

Anil

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Just to point out, most of us, including me, will not have been able to try a bunch of the alternatives, such as the hybrid FLM ball heads. Heads are too expensive to constantly be changing. ( dpreview just did a big comparison of ball heads.) I've had an Arca B1 for years. It works well for smaller formats when speed matters more than precision framing, such as for dslr/35mm portraits. A friend has a Really Right Stuff BH-55, which is nicer than my old Arca.

The 410 head is very good for 4x5 field cameras. The knobs don't stick out very far. They're easy to use. The camera plate is pretty big and rubber coated, which makes the camera less likely to twist on the plate. Some filed cameras need a really big mounting plate (Gitzo, Ries...)to gain rigidity, such as my Kodak 8x10 2D, but the Toyo doesn't have that problem. In addition it's limited to a 300mm lens, unless you'll add the extension back(s). If you did that, and hence used a really long lens, then you might want a stronger head than the 410, but for standard use the 410 works just fine.

Back when I shot 35mm cameras I always thought a ball head would be nice. I thought it would be easier and faster to use. I finally bought a used Gitzo ball head for my DSLR and found out the opposite was true. I't turns out that I'm a one axis at a time kind of guy. I can't imagine using one with a large format camera. I favor my Ries double-tilt heads.

A lot of people like ball heads so to each their own. My suggestion is to try both and see what works for you.

There was a minor furore that erupted last time someone asked about "Pan-Tilt vs Ball Head" so I hope by now the OP has settled on buying one or the other.