Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Longest focal length w/ Linhof Tech V without need for special bellows?

Re: Longest focal length w/ Linhof Tech V without need for special bellows?

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBrain View Post
    [...]Either way though, that Fujinon 450c costs way more than I paid for any of the lenses I currently own (and which I make more use of than I'm ever likely to get out of a 450mm).
    Considering that the 360 Tele-Arton is only 8% shorter, and that it is a telephoto with adequate bellows left over, perhaps just cropping the negative would suffice, and save you money.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Nikkor tele sets were 360/500/720 and 600/800/1200, with the different FL's achieved by mixing and matching front and rear components. The 500mm combination is specified as requiring a flange focal distance of 349.9mm. The 360 requires 261mm.

Details here, if you don't mind wading through the Japanese:

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/.../ed360mmf8.htm

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/...ed500mmf11.htm
    Hey thanks,

I dont actually know what FFD I have on my camera (and google doesnt seem to know either). Do you think the 500mm combination might work on a Tech V?

I'd come to the conclusion that probably my best bet would be a Fujinon T 400 f.8 (I have the 300mm version already and like the results), but if I could get away with a 500mm instead of a 400 that would be great.

Though I'd have to look at prices before getting too excited; the fujinons seem to go for about the top end of my budget, but given that the nikon is effectively 3 lenses in one I'm guessing itll cost more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Considering that the 360 Tele-Arton is only 8% shorter, and that it is a telephoto with adequate bellows left over, perhaps just cropping the negative would suffice, and save you money.
    Thanks but I really hate cropping.

Though that's more because it totally changes composition than because of the loss of resolution (though that too).

I dont actually know what FFD I have on my camera (and google doesnt seem to know either). Do you think the 500mm combination might work on a Tech V?
    The Master Technika instruction manual I have on hand says that the maximum bellows draw is 430mm, so the 500mm Nikkor T should be well within reach. In principle, it ought to be able to manage the 600 as well (409.2mm), but that one's in Copal 3 and weighs 1650 g, and I'm not sure you want to hang that much mass at the far end of a Technika focus bed stretched all the way.

but given that the nikon is effectively 3 lenses in one I'm guessing itll cost more.
    It's uncommon to find complete Nikkor tele sets for sale. Usually what you find is single combinations of front and rear components, or with one extra component to allow two FL's. Not surprisingly, the longer combinations tend to be harder to find. Anyway, it may not solve your problem, as the longer ones especially tend to be fairly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Master Technika instruction manual I have on hand says that the maximum bellows draw is 430mm, so the 500mm Nikkor T should be well within reach. In principle, it ought to be able to manage the 600 as well (409.2mm), but that one's in Copal 3 and weighs 1650 g, and I'm not sure you want to hang that much mass at the far end of a Technika focus bed stretched all the way.

It's uncommon to find complete Nikkor tele sets for sale. Usually what you find is single combinations of front and rear components, or with one extra component to allow two FL's. Not surprisingly, the longer combinations tend to be harder to find. Anyway, it may not solve your problem, as the longer ones especially tend to be fairly expensive.
    Ah yes, the manual. Ooops

Anyway, thats good news. As a 500 is quite a long lens.

Thanks for explaining about the Nikkor sets. It actually suits me better that I wouldnt have to pay for 3 lenses when I only need one. However I looked around a little for a 500mm and the only one I could find on sale costs a good $300 more than the Fujinon T 400 would cost me, so I'm not sure. Maybe if I'm patient though.

What do you think would happen with such a heavy weight on the from of the camera? Obviously it wouldnt be very stable on a tripod, but otherwise? Do you think it might damage the bed/bellows?

What do you think would happen with such a heavy weight on the from of the camera? Obviously it wouldnt be very stable on a tripod, but otherwise? Do you think it might damage the bed/bellows?
    The Technika has two tripod mounts. Use the rear one for the camera body, and the one on the bed with a monopod or a brace to the front leg of the tripod.

The Technika has two tripod mounts. Use the rear one for the camera body, and the one on the bed with a monopod or a brace to the front leg of the tripod.

Thanks. The brace sounds more practical. But thinking about the weight that's in my camera case already I'd probably go for the 500mm over the 600mm in the end anyway tbh

Btw, I seem to remember you recommended a Wista telescopic lupe to me on here a few months back. Ive been looking on the 'bay for one periodically ever since, but none have come up at all. In fact the only long lupes Ive seen this whole time have been the $70 Chinese ones. Never thought it would be so difficult to find a lupe.

I gather that Horseman and Toyo also made long lupes for viewing through the hood, do you know if these are comparable to the Wista?

Not that I've seen any of these two come up for sale either, but, incase I ever do...

Might just have to get a Chinese one in the end as I'm not sure how much longer I can continue working without a lupe now. I'll put start a WTB thread in the classifieds forum now though and see if anything comes up.

Longest focal length w/ Linhof Tech V without need for special bellows?

Btw, I seem to remember you recommended a Wista telescopic lupe to me on here a few months back. Ive been looking on the 'bay for one periodically ever since, but none have come up at all. [...]
    Each time I visit the 'bay, I remember that recommendation and look for the long Wista for you. Frankly, I am mystified. Did they make it so long ago for just a little while?
    I gather that Horseman and Toyo also made long lupes for viewing through the hood, do you know if these are comparable to the Wista?
    I do not know. Sorry.

I do not know. Sorry.
    It has been discontinued for a few years now.

"Each time I visit the 'bay, I remember that recommendation and look for the long Wista for you. Frankly, I am mystified. Did they make it so long ago for just a little while"

Thanks, that's very kind of you. The fact that none have come up for sale is probably a sign that most people who bought one agree with your recommendation.

Though searching again now I uncovered a thread on here where someone was discussing their enormous collection of lupes (they had like 8 or 10...I can't imagine what on earth for) so perhaps people are just hoarding them?