Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goerz Hypergon 75mm w/fan Use

Goerz Hypergon 75mm w/fan Use

I recently acquired a Goerz Hypergon 75mm lens that I am in the process of mounting so I can start shooting with it. This is the model that has the dispersion fan and a field of view of 130º. I'm seeking information from forum members who have mounted and shot with this lens before mounting it myself to avoid pitfalls. The extreme wide angle of this lens makes it a special case of usage with the need to get fingers and feet out of the way before exposure. I am planning on mounting this on an Arca Swiss 8x10 F-Line camera with a bag bellows. Because of the short focal length of this lens this seems the best choice as I can get the front and rear standards close enough to reach infinity. I'm not expecting to need much movements due to the extreme depth of field of this lens but I will get some movements especially rise but less movements if using a flat board, and more movements if using a recessed board. I could mount it on a recessed lens board or a flat board but worry about the recessed board getting in the way of the field or making it difficult to get to the controls of the lens. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Geoff

Andi Heuser

Re: Goerz Hypergon 75mm w/fan Use

Deardorff Sales and service

Back in the early 2000s I was able to borrow a 75mm for a few months. You mention movements. WHY? (not yelling just surprised) Square it up on all planes and shoot away. The spinning of the blades is a trick to learn. I used two air hoses. One for the "puff", the other was hooked to a DeGroff air release that moved the latch to release the blades arm. The hoses were taped to the tripod. This provided a vibrationless exposure. I got some neat shots. Since this was a sky/cloud lens originally I found that shooting from the top of a building gave the best results. Play with it you will have fun.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

there's also info about this lens at www.cameraquest.com.

Great information. Thanks all but any more info would be appreciated.

You must use a flat board rather than a recessed board.
    The back must be precisely vertical or you will get some really out of the world views.
    The lens board needs to be moved forward to the very front of the rail if you don't want the rail in the photograph.
    Other than that, it is a piece of cake.
    Oh, and have some ND filters ready , or use a very slow, ISO 25 speed, film if in bright sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You must use a flat board rather than a recessed board.
    The back must be precisely vertical or you will get some really out of the world views.
    The lens board needs to be moved forward to the very front of the rail if you don't want the rail in the photograph.
    Other than that, it is a piece of cake.
    Oh, and have some ND filters ready , or use a very slow, ISO 25 speed, film if in bright sun.
    Joel, This is the info I was looking for. I suspected the flat lens board would be the way to go. I have already set up the Arca Swiss 8x10 on a very short 15 cm rail with a bag bellow making it a very compact kit. I was unsure about using a recessed or flat board but you have confirmed the flat board is best. Thanks for the info, Geoff

Sorry, I meant Jim!

Deardorff Sales and service

I'm joking here but the Hypergon is one of those lenses that can nearly see behind itself!! When I used it on my Deardorff I kept getting a image of the locking knob for the front panel. So I had to make a board that put the lens forward 5/16 in. That kept everything out of the way. Good luck and keep an eye on the Tripod feet........
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I have 1 hypergon 150mm and Chamonix build for me one 16x20 camera specially for this
    lens. It's well made.
    I am trying to learn how to shoot with this lens.