Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where and How Does One Get A Photograph Appraised?

Re: Where and How Does One Get A Photograph Appraised?

I was just joking about Antiques Roadshow. It's my wife's favorite. Good idea to check ebay listings and completed sales.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I wonder if your insurance company can make a recommendation. I'm sure they would re-appraise if you ever filed a claim.

You need at least 2 written estimates by known and working experts. Same as any odd valuable.

I used to appraise old cars.

I'd suggest contacting the Weston Gallery in Carmel-by-the-Sea http://www.westongallery.com. I've seen Paul Strand prints in there, several times, and in general, they have always been very knowledgeable about that group of photographers.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    I was just joking about Antiques Roadshow. It's my wife's favorite. Good idea to check ebay listings and completed sales.
    Ahh. I've never seen it, only heard about it, so I wasn't sure if you were serious. Good to know you weren't.

J.

EDIT: If Eb@y prices are anything to go by, it's not worth as much as I thought.

Antiques Road Show? Remember to look shocked or surprised.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

You might try contacting the Robert Mann gallery in NYC http://www.robertmann.com/artists/main.html

But you might want to check with Drew first to be sure it is a real gallery and not a vanity gallery - theres probably no way it could be a real gallery and last 20 years

Did you try the asking a curator at the Portland Museum of Art? I don't think there is a photography curator, but there is a curatorial coordinator I have spoken with before. She might know who to ask locally.

Good idea, Jason.

J.

There were two different printings of the "Mexican Portfolio". One called "Photographs of Mexico" (1940), and the other called the "Mexican Portfolio" (1967).

The first set is far more valuable than the second. Individually, the 1967 images generally do not sell for more than about $500 or so for the more desirable ones, and less for the rest. I don't think I've seen individual images from the 1940 set, so I'm not sure where they would sell for.

The image quality of the second portfolio is inferior to that of the first. I think they may have used the same plates, but they didn't print with the same level of quality (lower pressure in the press, etc.). You can probably determine if it is from the first printing by looking at the print and determining if there is a varnish overcoat that has darkened with age. The first printing had this, whereas the second did not darken. Jon Goodman made reprints from the same plates in the early 80's (I think) of a few of the images, and has personal knowledge of the printing and details. I have a complete 1967 portfolio, and I also have one of Jon's prints of the same image. His is clearly superior to the 1967 portfolio.

You can still purchase some images from the portfolio directly though Aperture Foundation. I think these are all Jon Goodman printings, and are masterfully executed. They also have some pt/pd images as well, but those sell for much higher prices.

---Michael