Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for travel in Japan

bill

Suggestions for travel in Japan

I have been invited to be part of an art show in Japan in March. I have not been there before and I'm curious about possible places to go and how to get there. Also any help on inexpensive places to stay. I would like to get out in the country away from the large cities and I'll have 2 weeks to do so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will be taking 4x5 equipment with me.

Thanks
    Bill

Re: Suggestions for travel in Japan

These two photographers put up nice landscape/nature photos from Japan. Perhaps it would give you some ideas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomootaphotos/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/113060598@N08

bill

Thank You

John Olsen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image10.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	109881

Go to Nikko for sure. You can get there by train from Tokyo. Ask your show-hosts to make hotel reservations for you at an English-speaking hotel, e.g. "Annex Turtle of the Hotori-An" at (81) 288-53-3168. I shot there on four excursions and always was pleased.

Stay two days at least, one for the temples and one for the streams and small waterfalls in the surrounding nature preserve. I recommend the ""Kirifuri/Mt. Oyama" path for several small waterfalls. You won't need to walk the entire thing as you'll shoot all of your film by the half-way point. You'll only need your wide angle lens.

Ganbatte!

Kyoto is an absolute must. Especially the golden temple. If you stay in tourist areas most signs are in kanji and roman characters but in the country side every thing is just kanji.

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by brucep View Post
    Kyoto is an absolute must. Especially the golden temple. If you stay in tourist areas most signs are in kanji and roman characters but in the country side every thing is just kanji.
    I agree with this as it's easier for foreigners. And the nice thing about the Golden Temple is that there are really only a couple of tripod locations to consider, what with it being mostly surrounded by water. Consider also shooting at the locomotive museum if you choose Kyoto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2212BW web.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	109891

I second Kyoto and Nikko. Nikko has a stunning landscape; the nearby nature preserve is an easy hike.

The food is excellent (but that's true in all of Japan).

I also second the suggestion to travel by train - train travel in Japan has no equal when it comes to efficiency, convenience and comfort. Where trains cannot take you, buses will.

...and have a nice trip.

Forgot to recommend Nara which isn't that far from Kyoto. ..even if you get bored with all the temples you won't get bored with the wild deer that bow in front of you for biscuits.

Where is your show, and how far are you willing to travel?

Kumar

Kyoto, Nara, Himeiji for sure. Nikko is nice but kind of far even from Tokyo. I'd spend all my time in the area around Osaka and KIX airport area like the cities mentioned above. You could easily spend a week in Kyoto alone. I can give you a list of the best temples and shrines if you want.