Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nebraska, the movie

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Re: Nebraska, the movie

ROL, nice of your to put in your 3cents but maybe you need to re-read the OP because I did comment on the photography, you must of scanned over that.. All I stated later was that personally I could care less about the (tiny format) camera they used I didn't say I didn't care how good the photography was .. I have been to the state of Nebraska and I remember the western side was quite scenic but the rest looked a lot like my home state of Indiana. Just like publisher's clearing house I can promise anything it's up to you to consider it. If the moderator's find the post to be (lounge-worthy) I have no problem with it..

BTW, who was your grandfather? SNL?

[QUOTE=ROL;1106683]
    But as regards photography, per this forum, while there is a lot to like about Nebraska, the auteur's vision of the boundless gray of his youth translated into boring black and white high key tones is not one of them.

If anyone cares to see good, meaningful use of landscape oriented B/W in film, I'd suggest looking to some of the early John Ford westerns, Howard Hawks' Red River, or William Wellman's, The Oxbow Incident.[QUOTE]

I saw the film, and while I was pleased they made a decision to present it in B&W (I thought it very appropriate to the subject matter and environment), I did not care for the visual decisions they made in post. I found the low contrast, high key look distracting, my eyes kept looking for something black and it wasn't there. I wish they had used a wider range of tones. I don't know why they shot it digitally either- seems to me film would have gotten the genuine look I think they were after.

I have to agree on your Payne/Russell comparison too, there's a condescension in his work (like About Schmidt) that I think is simplistic and uninteresting. I could never figure out why Bruce's Dern's character was such a curmudgeon, what was the back story? I am much taken in by Russell, not so much Silver Linings but his other work.

I was disappointed in Gravity, I think it could have been much more. Too much sound/music pulled me out of the story. Also the gratuitas hot Sandra Bullock shots: space cheesecake? But this is a serious movie, come on. I don't think short-shorts are part of an astronaut's attire.

Quote Originally Posted by brucetaylor View Post
    ...I don't know why they shot it digitally either...
    For the same reason any motion picture is shot digitally. Or distributed digitally. $$$$$$$ No waiting for rushes. No need to set up for re-shooting if something awry shows up in rushes; review the results immediately. No film costs (shooting or releasing). Ultimately, distribution via network; almost free.

Bean counters control the world. That, combined with the fact that some directors actually prefer working in a digital, instant-feedback domain, means it doesn't matter what you or I or anyone else thinks. Motion picture film is going to be history. Not today, not tomorrow, but in the foreseeable future. Regardless of how it looks.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

brucetaylor, the back story is that the curmudgeon, (ill tempered old man) was explained during the movie by showing us how his whole family were not good at communicating any type of normal emotions, happy or otherwise.. There was also the old ex-girl friend that told the son of his dads time in the war which I thought played a part in his demeanor.. Not to mention the fact that he was losing his ability to rationalize due to old age and the fact that his parents had some play in it by the way he was disciplined growing up.. Some of that attitude i felt like his constant bitching wife also contributed to and could have very well been the biggest part of the problem.
    I thought they did a great job explaining why his character was messed up

Hey look!! luminosity just walked in !! "Where"? You missed it

Sorry the movie is over and your also missing your wallet

BTW, I doubt that walk Bruce has is much exagerated do to his bad knees from running I have it too from the same thing
    Last edited by Steve M Hostetter; 5-Feb-2014 at 19:50.