Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calumet C-1 improvement

Calumet C-1 improvement

A few spare parts from an old B&J Grover . Improved Front standard slide/swing lock knob !

Re: Calumet C-1 improvement

The metal knobs look to be a real improvement. Many of the plastic ones on my C-1 are broken or cracked. I'll never understand why they made such a robust all metal camera and put a bunch of cheap plastic knobs on it.

Jonathan

Thanks for the ideas!

I'm going to copy that right away, I have the parts.

Love that Saltzman head! I have one but not the Saltzman tripod. I use it on an Arkay Monostand, but it's overkill for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    The metal knobs look to be a real improvement. Many of the plastic ones on my C-1 are broken or cracked. I'll never understand why they made such a robust all metal camera and put a bunch of cheap plastic knobs on it.

Jonathan
    The first model ( Karsh used the early version) had geared focus and all metal star shaped knobs. I actually customized my knobs to match those on the early model. If you need the plastic knobs to replace your broken knobs just PM me an address and I'll send them . I don't need them . I have two of them.

John,

PM sent re: the plastic star-shaped knobs. Thanks for the offer. That would be of great help.

Jonathan

By customizing your knobs did you make them or buy them? I agree about the front swing shift. I'm missing one spring there. The plastic knobs do seem like a mismatch for the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    By customizing your knobs did you make them or buy them? I agree about the front swing shift. I'm missing one spring there. The plastic knobs do seem like a mismatch for the camera.
    I salvaged them from an old Burke & James Grover monorail camera . The slide lockdown piece was on the front standard of the Grover . The knob was one of the rise/fall lockdown knobs on the Grover front standard. The lockdown bracket fit perfectly into the C-1 groove. The knob is the same thread size as the original C-1 plastic knob so it was a perfect fit. There are two other big metal knobs from the Grover that fit where the very vulnerable plastic knobs are that lock down the rear rail slide on the C-1 . They fit , but there is a clearance issue when the rear standard comes back . I'm working on that now.

Well done!
    Looks the way the factory should have made them.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Well done!
    Looks the way the factory should have made them.
    Thanks . Stay tuned , I'm working on the other end.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the technical specifications of the threads of the plastic knobs on the C1 and their location on the camera? This information would allow C1 owners to shop for more robust knobs on their cameras. I am one of those camera owners. A listing of companies that carry these components would be a second blessing.