Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smashed Zone VI 16x20 print washer...advice needed

Smashed Zone VI 16x20 print washer...advice needed

Hello,
    So, I bought a 16x20 Zone VI washer and it arrived totally smashed. Both sides are broken into multiple pieces, it's a mess. Has anybody tried to repair something like this? I'm leaning towards writing it off as a complete loss. Thoughts?

Larry

Re: Smashed Zone VI 16x20 print washer...advice needed

take it to a sign/plastics shop. If you have the proper tools for cutting acrylic smoothly, get some weld-on 4 and go for it.

You could cut a piece of plexiglass and glue it to the side that's broken.

You may have already seen this thread on making your own--maybe there is some insight there on repairing yours...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...r-photos-plans

--Darin

A plastics shop will have the right replacement material and the special glue that essentially welds the panels back together again. Don't know where you are located. Solter's Plastics in LA, CA is great for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Hello,
    So, I bought a 16x20 Zone VI washer and it arrived totally smashed. Both sides are broken into multiple pieces, it's a mess. Has anybody tried to repair something like this? I'm leaning towards writing it off as a complete loss. Thoughts?
    Larry
    I will never trust a glued multiple pieces walls. You just exposed yourself to a second mess Full of water 16x20 weight maybe 200 lbs so don't take a chance with a bad repair.
    The plexi shop will charge you more to redo the 4 walls than a "new" used one. Just reclame your purchase as a total lost and search a new one.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    I will never trust a glued multiple pieces walls. You just exposed yourself to a second mess Full of water 16x20 weight maybe 200 lbs so don't take a chance with a bad repair.
    The plexi shop will charge you more to redo the 4 walls than a "new" used one. Just reclame your purchase as a total lost and search a new one.
    Yeah, I think this is the right answer. I'm in NYC, but have no car. I cannot even carry this thing around to take it to anybody, and gluing it back together is going to be too dangerous and prone to failure. Both ends are broken into multiple pieces and the guide pieces are glued onto the broken end walls. I think I'll give up and just get a refund. It is more trouble than it is worth. As it is, I have to somehow throw it away. Sigh, what a bummer. I was looking forward to having a 16x20 washer, I love that print size and I'm not sure a siphon works well for a stack of prints.

Larry,

Why did it break?

Was it badly packed?

Did UPS drive a fork lift over it? (I've actually seen squished boxes with tire tracks!)

Well, I don't think a cardboard box and some styrofoam was enough to protect something this heavy during shipment. No forklift marks, LOL, but I think the shippers take extra care to throw around packages that have yellow tape on them saying it is over 80 lbs.

So, should I take the eBay money back guarantee option? The seller did not offer any returns or refunds but says the package was insured. Trouble is, I'm not going to be able to carry this thing to UPS to show them the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Larry,

Why did it break?

Was it badly packed?

Did UPS drive a fork lift over it? (I've actually seen squished boxes with tire tracks!)

UPS will send a guy out to make an inspection, OR they'll do one over the phone. I had a jobo processor shipped to me which was destroyed due to bad packaging. They did an inspection via phone. If the packaging wasn't up to par, ups will deny responsibility. I'd go with ebay's refund which should be faster since ups may have an issue with the packaging and want to deny the insurance?