Good afternoon all! Happy 2014!

Over the past few years I have been experimenting with different processes (medium format film, large format film, wet-plate) and medias (traditional films, expired films, xray film, direct positive paper, aluminum, etc.) and am enjoing the learning process immensely. As I have been learning processes and experimenting I have been spending a lot of time looking at works by photographers and painters both current and historic trying to learn to "see" light, form and composition from a variety of different perspectives. It is now time for me to explore a new ideas in the art world of "...ism"s.

The things I am going to be exploring and researching will be in the realms of pictorialism, tonalism, luminism and impressionism. Perhaps focusing more on the emotion than the object in an image. To actually begin my explorations I have purchased a 16" Kodak Portrait lens to experiment with.

I have never made an image with a soft-focus lens so I would love any direction, technical or experience based that may help me skip some of the beginner mistakes that I'm sure to come upon.

In my ideal world I would love this thread to be a place of conversation about the technical approaches and results of LFF member efforts as well as a place to discuss concepts, ideas and theory of the "...ism"s and how they may add to the efforts of making a successful contemporary image.

Please don't jump in and talk about how much you may hate/dislike or oppose these images. There are tens of thousands of other threads that will be more up your alley. Let's make this thread a place of conversation, learning, good natured discussion of this particular topic.

THANK YOU in advance!

As I await my lens to arrive and am able to share images, here are some images that inspire me...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anne Brigman.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	107984

Name:	pic02.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	107985

Name:	tumblr_magz9hBEJM1rgkrodo1_500.jpg