Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mail-order frame source? Pre-built?

Re: Mail-order frame source? Pre-built?

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Backing board is rarely (never, in my experience) anything other than cheap acidic cardboard in pre-assembled frames. I prefer acid neutral foam core, which is about the same price as decent cardboard, in sheets.
    The kits from framedestination.com include foamcore. The buyer has a choice of acid free in various thicknesses. I also use their UV acrylic which is neutral in color and lightweight (important for bigger pieces) and won't break during shipping. I do not like AR as it softens the image slightly. They basically use all the top end quality components I would use, except everything is already cut and ready to go. And I really like the look of an 8 ply mat (which I would never cut myself; 4 ply yes, 8 ply no).

Craig Frames ships glass when frames are small, but acrylic for larger frames.
    ArtToFrames is another good source.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Eric Biggerstaff

To repeat what Greg said, Frame Destinations is great. I have used them for years.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Another +1 for Frame Destination. Been using them for many years now.

I also use Frame Destinations a and am very pleased.

Roger

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

The "problem" - as I see it - with using ready made frames as from Frame Destinations is that your choices are limited to set sizes (11x14 for example instead of, say 12x15) and that if you "float" the print, as I do, you have to trim the print to match the window instead of cutting the window to match print. For example I've recently been matting 8x10 dry mounted prints on 12x15 matt board "lifting" the print 3/16" up from the bottom. I also like to float the image with a 3/16" space at the top and sides of the print and 6/16" at the bottom to accommodate a signature. Ready-made won't work for me.

Thomas

I too am a happy customer of Frame Destination. They have great customer service and pack very well for safe shipping—I have never had a problem. They do custom sizes which can be ordered directly from their website.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Frame destinations does custom sizes including mats. You can specify all of the dimension so that you can "lift" the print. They also are meticulous in construction and the packaging/shipping. They are also prompt, I have never had to wait more than three days for a custom order to ship.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    The "problem" - as I see it - with using ready made frames as from Frame Destinations is that your choices are limited to set sizes (11x14 for example instead of, say 12x15) and that if you "float" the print, as I do, you have to trim the print to match the window instead of cutting the window to match print. For example I've recently been matting 8x10 dry mounted prints on 12x15 matt board "lifting" the print 3/16" up from the bottom. I also like to float the image with a 3/16" space at the top and sides of the print and 6/16" at the bottom to accommodate a signature. Ready-made won't work for me.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post

Thomas
    As Richard stated, Frame Destination allows you to order custom sizes. I do all sorts of odd sizes and it has never been a problem. I used to DIY it, but it's about the same price to let them do all the work.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    As Richard stated, Frame Destination allows you to order custom sizes. I do all sorts of odd sizes and it has never been a problem. I used to DIY it, but it's about the same price to let them do all the work.
    Really! How much would they charge for a custom 12x15 frame and board cut to the specifications I set out above? I'm sure that they will/can do it but they are going to charge you for it for sure. I paid ~ $25 for the hardware for my last 12x15 Nielsen black frame at University Art in Palo Alto (not a "discount" store). Regular glass is included in the price but I went to Tap Plastics and got regular clear picture acrylic for ~$6 or so.

Assembling the frame and cutting the board (once you have done and checked the math) is quick and easy. A little more time consuming is positioning the print on the board and then tacking it down.

Thomas