Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best contact paper for early 1900's feel?

Best contact paper for early 1900's feel?

Experimenting with contact printing and wonder if there are any papers that might mimic the feel of early 1900's contact printing. I really wondered how possible it could be these days but http://www.clavijo.ru/ does an amazing job of getting the feel. Thought would give it a try but could use a starting point.
    Ryan Mills

Re: Best contact paper for early 1900's feel?

You mean cheap cury contact prints or good professional portraits from early 1900's? Foma Fomatone Classic VC FB Cream Base Warmtone is pretty rugged and classy. A little sepia toning of a normal print does a lot too.

You could learn to do Platinum or Albumen printing—2 of the most beautiful processes.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Best contact paper for early 1900's feel?

So many people want an instant formula. You are not going to find it here, or anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    You mean cheap cury contact prints or good professional portraits from early 1900's? Foma Fomatone Classic VC FB Cream Base Warmtone is pretty rugged and classy. A little sepia toning of a normal print does a lot too.
    Yea cheap old prints, I will give the foma a try, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    So many people want an instant formula. You are not going to find it here, or anywhere.
    Never said that did I, I did say "Thought would give it a try but could use a starting point.". Just looking for a place to start, sorry I thought this was a place to ask questions.
    Ryan Mills

Ryan,

You're on the right track. Don't worry about the occasional rock-in-the-road. They're inevitable. We just go around them, and continue on our way.

Of topic . . . With regard to the web-site you mentioned, for myself, I am not particularly keen on "modern distressed photography". Obviously being contrived, the "special effects" immediately take away from the image. The first thing I notice is the grunge and distressed appearance that was intentionally added to "impress the viewer". I'm sure it has a following. I'm just not in that group. And now on to the intent of my post . . .

I can't tell you what modern papers will give you the character that you seek for your contact prints, but I have collected a small number of "original prints" from the period mentioned. Most are portraits by well known portrait artists of the time. I'm sure you are aware that a vintage photograph rarely has the appearance of a "modern print" that have been distressed. That's probably why modern prints look like they were made yesterday. ;-) Anyhoo, I'd be glad to provide details of the characteristics of the papers they used, image characteristics, their current visual appearance, and I could provide scans if that helps. My own attempts to impart a "vintage character" to contact prints "without intentionally distressing" the image, has culminated in coating my own plates. So far, I am very pleased with the progress made in that direction. I just wish I had more time to play.

One characteristic of many vintage photographs is that the current color of the paper that was used is almost exactly the color of a manilla file folder. If you can match that color your doing quite well. That color probably differs a bit from the color of the paper when it was first used. The color of Sepia toning and a non-gloss surface are also very common characteristics for many vintage photographs.

Just put Jac on your ignore list, as all he ever does is insult people. Pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by DannL View Post
    Ryan,

You're on the right track. Don't worry about the occasional rock-in-the-road. They're inevitable. We just go around them, and continue on our way.

Of topic . . . With regard to the web-site you mentioned, for myself, I am not particularly keen on "modern distressed photography". Obviously being contrived, the "special effects" immediately take away from the image. The first thing I notice is the grunge and distressed appearance that was intentionally added to "impress the viewer". I'm sure it has a following. I'm just not in that group. And now on to the intent of my post . . .

I can't tell you what modern papers will give you the character that you seek for your contact prints, but I have collected a small number of "original prints" from the period mentioned. Most are portraits by well known portrait artists of the time. I'm sure you are aware that a vintage photograph rarely has the appearance of a "modern print" that have been distressed. That's probably why modern prints look like they were made yesterday. ;-) Anyhoo, I'd be glad to provide details of the characteristics of the papers they used, image characteristics, their current visual appearance, and I could provide scans if that helps. My own attempts to impart a "vintage character" to contact prints "without intentionally distressing" the image, has culminated in coating my own plates. So far, I am very pleased with the progress made in that direction. I just wish I had more time to play.

One characteristic of many vintage photographs is that the current color of the paper that was used is almost exactly the color of a manilla file folder. If you can match that color your doing quite well. That color probably differs a bit from the color of the paper when it was first used. The color of Sepia toning and a non-gloss surface are also very common characteristics for many vintage photographs.
    Thanks, a lot his work on the website is rather overdone but there are a number im just fascinated by. I do love a perfect clean print but I have wanted to shoot something that felt more late 1800's to 1910's I have tried with a few different films, pushing to extremes but nothing looked quite right just scanning. Too much range, too sharp. This is one example I thought was quite a good "aged" look: http://www.clavijo.ru/_images/al42.jpg

I have a 4x5 enlarger a kind local gentleman gave me but its missing a few parts. I got a 4x5 contact frame and figure I will use the enlargers head to try some contact prints and toning.

I did find some "contact" paper and figure I will start with that and see what results I get, going to try with Foma Fomatol LQN: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/428282...8x10-25-sheets

Thanks for the info on warm tone papers, I will have to look around some more.
    Ryan Mills

I'm sure you're aware, that you don't need to use special papers to make contact prints. If you are using your enlarger for example, any enlarging paper will suffice. But you are concerned with paper color and surface texture to get an older character. One option for color is to soak your print in coffee (coffee staining, or tea staining) after the print is made. Something you might research. I've only stained a couple prints that way.

Try salt printing. Fun and fairly straight forward. Using a glass rod, puddle pusher, side of a jar or brush, Coat berger cot 320 with salt and sodium citrate solution, dry in a few minutes, coat with silver nitrate solution, dry briefly, expose to the sun in a contact frame. It is a printing out process so you can see the image forming as it is exposed by opening half of the frame back. If its a keeper fix and tone with gold chloride or any other toner. The Salt Printing Manual by Ellie Young is the authorative guide. An unfixed salt print is truly special (but fugitive unless stored in the dark and viewed seldom in dim light) and a fixed print will give you the look you are after. You dont need a dark room, just a cupboard and draw the curtains while working, dim natural room light is fine. Matte finish. Albumen will be glossy and have a higher dmax.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RoadOiled.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	107566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	107567