Thread: Hello LF Forum

Hello LF Forum

I wanted to take this opportunity to say hello and introduce myself to the group. Currently, I am a contributing photographer for the Entertainment division of Getty Images, and for 15 years before that (I know I'm dating myself), I was an NFL photographer. I started with manual focus and film, graduated to autofocus and now digital. Along the way, I dabbled with LF, but am looking to get more into it now. Somehow, constantly shooting digitally just leaves you a little…cold.

I've had a Super Speed Graphic for a while, and even though it's a great introduction to LF, I'd like something lighter with a little more versatility. I've been reading the threads and information here and would really love to find a Toho FC-45, but they don't seem to pop up very often. My next choice would be either a Tachihara or Shen Hao. I will probably be traveling with it, shooting the big camera while on vacation (much to the chagrin of the wife), so size and weight are important. I like shooting wide angle, so being able to use a 75mm or wider is also important. Any input from the group would be very much appreciated!

That's it - I'll be stalking the classifieds as soon as I get through my probationary period.

Thanks for providing a great forum for real photographers, by real photographers!
    Brian

Re: Hello LF Forum

While there are lighter cameras than a SSG, it should be shot hand-held. For a lighter camera you'll have to add in the weights of a tripod and head.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Welcome aboard! FWIW after owning and using at least some of the ones mentioned I ultimately landed on the Chamonix. Worth a study at least. It is my keeper.

Thanks, I will check into Chamonix. What makes it keeper - what do you like about it better than everything else? Also, how wide can I go without a bag bellows?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal624 View Post
    Thanks, I will check into Chamonix. What makes it keeper - what do you like about it better than everything else? Also, how wide can I go without a bag bellows?
    Limited with a 90 and very limited with a 75. Other users may chime in. I don't see well in wide. I had a lovely Zone VI with the kid leather bag bellow and did not use it enough.

The Tachihara does not support a bag bellows. You can use a lens as wide as 65mm in a recessed board. I wouldn't expect much in the way of movements. Some use a 75mm on a flat board. I used a 75mm in a recessed board and it worked fine for me except I found the 75mm too wide for most of the stuff I shot so I went to a 90mm on a flat board and was happy.

If you want to shoot 65mm or wider I would look for a camera that supports a bag bellows.

I have absolutely no experience with Chamonix but they are said by many to be a very stable camera as well as lightweight.

Oh, I forgot. Welcome to the forum! We are glad to have you.

Thank you all! I probably won't be going wider than 75, so the lack of a BB on the Tachi wouldn't be an issue. I'm going to take a hard look at Chamonix next.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln