Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Hi newbie to the forum & I have decided to get back into large format again & I am setting up my darkroom.
    I found a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand for $100.
    It has the lens turret but no lenses or negative carriers. Is this a good/fair price or should I look for a complete enlarger with negative carriers & lenses?
    Thanks
    Pure Quill

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

I'd pass.
    people give this stuff away.

Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Put WTB ad in local Craigslist.

List your location below your name here.

If we're talking (as in the photo below) a lamp house, variable condenser box, variable condenser lens, condenser lens housing, corrugated spacer, two 6.5" condenser lenses – just these things, and nothing else, in fine shape, would easily be worth $100 to me – and I would have no trouble selling such an assembly, displayed w/ nice photos & clear text, for $150-200 on my local Seattle CL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omega D2v head.jpg  

Here is the ad it has photos of the enlarger.
    http://salem.craigslist.org/pho/4257843051.html
    Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks to those who have responded to my thread!

Grab it; seems nearly complete. Any minor missing parts are readily available on ebay or here. You can get the enlarging lens you need for a song now a days.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Certainly worth $100 and you'd save it from the dump! L

$100 without neg carriers and without any lens? Is there a $100 bill taped to the bottom of the baseboard ?

Those images show an enlarger in fantastic shape. Likely a fine bargain for $100.

I'd learn how to inspect it properly – and if you purchase it, how to disassemble and safely transport that baby. Then you're just a few easy accessories away.

You can visit the following site and do a few searches on the "Ask Harry! Help Forum" here:

http://www.classic-enlargers.com

Harry Taylor is the site owner and a great source for questions.

Cool Re: Value of a Omega Universal 4x5 Variable Condenser Lamphouse w/ chassis and stand?

Thanks for all the responses, going to check it out in person this evening.
    This is my 1st foray into large format in over 30 years.
    Pretty sure once I start down this path I am not going to want to go back.
    As much as I enjoy the freedom & speed of roll film & then digital.
    I miss the deliberate process that shooting B&W film in large format forces.
    Just the act of loading the film holders, setting the camera up on a tripod ,then focusing on a ground glass, adjusting the tilts & swings & making very conscious decisions on everything from film type & exposer.
    Then on to chemistry & paper choices in the darkroom that are missing in this auto everything, take as many exposers as you want & sort then sort through a 100+ images of one subject on a computer & then fix it in photoshop.
    Is some how lacking something.
    But then again I miss spinning tape & vinyl & those glowing tubes when I listen to music.
    Tape hiss & static pops are not a bad thing to me.
    Some times one needs to go back to basics & I feel I am there.
    Through the rabbit hole I go!
    God help me & my pocket book :-)
    Pure Quill