Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about lens tilt on 4x5

Re: Question about lens tilt on 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by Halide View Post
    Hi Luc - That image is very slick! - until I got help from the forum I didn't think something like that was possible.Regards,
    Len
    Thanks Len. It has limited artistic value except for my wife and my cousin (and me I guess) but it was very satisfactory when I started learning using movements. Somewhat I don't think that I have done much progress but give it another 5 or 10 years...
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wouldn't 8x10 and a longer lens at f/32 have actually given a shallower DOF than the OP had?

Please forgive the question if I'm confused, I'm also new-ish to LF and still learning. So it's a question not a statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Wouldn't 8x10 and a longer lens at f/32 have actually given a shallower DOF than the OP had?

Please forgive the question if I'm confused, I'm also new-ish to LF and still learning. So it's a question not a statement.
    You're right, of course. When two photographs are taken with lenses having similar angle of coverage and the images are enlarged to the same size, the only major that affects DOF is the diameter of the entrance pupil. This would be greater with a 19" lens at f/32 on an 8x10 camera than a perhaps 8" lens at f/22 on a 4x5 camera. By the time I'd located Adams' information on his photo, I was too impatient to really think the math through. Thanks for correcting my blunder. I need that from time to time.

The boulder field looks like an environment of multi-directional reflections.

For me, it's often a time that calls for my Lee compendium shade, and, along with w/ moderate (or more) lens front tilt to put the focus plane in the best place, an increased risk for mechanical vignetting as well.

If this happens, one of my solutions (in addition to adjusting compendium corners) is to use less lens front tilt, and to compensate, use more rear standard back tilt (i.e., in the opposite direction). You might get some distortion from the rear back tilt, but usually not enough to cause problems in many of my landscapes, esp. if preserving parallel lines isn't of great importance.

Just a slight variation on this theme.
    Last edited by Heroique; 29-Dec-2013 at 17:05.

Luc,

I am so glad you posted an example to show what is going on with a "tilted" plane of focus. Other folks resort to calculus formulas that make my head hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    I think that this might illustrate what was discussed. The focus plane goes from my wife's head in the foreground to my cousin at the top of the mountain but ignores anything under that "plane".

Cheers,

Luc

Hello Len,

I'm one in a similar camp to Lenny Eiger. I almost always want my frames in focus edge to edge top to bottom. And others have explained how to set the points of near and far optimal sharpness while considering all elements in a frame, not just those like the top of your near rocks and the peak tops. Experience goes a long ways compromising between elements at different distances. I've paid my dues tossing film away by shooting subjects frames that had elements that were too soft.

For landscapes with my 150mm Nikor I'm usually at F32 to F64 depending on situation. This October I stopped down to near F64 with this image because although I added a slight amount of tilt, there are all manner of elements especially to the right that would do nothing for. So also added a slight swing for the right frame. Thus my main strategy was to stop down to near max. I expect a 30 inch print is after drum scanning still going to look quite impressing sharp. One can count on LF to deliver.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/13-K-6.jpg

And when everything in a frame is in an even plane or at a distance, yeah I'll stop down at f16 or f22 where the optics are sharpest taking my loupe out to make sure everything on the ground glass is tact sharp:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/Gallery_B/11-L-1.jpg

David,
    Your first photo looks great!

Did I miss the focal length the OP used? A wider lens can help if it doesn't throw off your composition too much.

I usually shoot at f22 or 32. Images just don't seem to pop with higher apertures but maybe the next few times out I might make two exposures at f22 and 45 and take a look.

I'm man enough to admit I am afraid of f64 and have never used it.

I don't usually use one of the ruler approaches and so with an image like this I think I would focus on the far and tilt on the near. There's a lot of ground in this image and the ground has a lot of detail so focusing that plane nearer the ground makes sense to me. I see the DOF issues but you may also find a wind issue with some of the vegetation in the image. I have found that the best clouds sometimes come with wind so bear that in mind when considering f stop.

Get that jeepster back out there and let us know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Halide View Post
    For grins I have attached a "happy snap" of my truck with its platform -( It was taken at the site while I was for the light to change).
    I like the Defender 90, a great LF photo accessory. Nicer looking than my FJ62.

Len - www.lenbruffett.com

Quote Originally Posted by john borrelli View Post
    Did I miss the focal length the OP used? A wider lens can help if it doesn't throw off your composition too much.

I usually shoot at f22 or 32. Images just don't seem to pop with higher apertures but maybe the next few times out I might make two exposures at f22 and 45 and take a look.

I'm man enough to admit I am afraid of f64 and have never used it.

I don't usually use one of the ruler approaches and so with an image like this I think I would focus on the far and tilt on the near. There's a lot of ground in this image and the ground has a lot of detail so focusing that plane nearer the ground makes sense to me. I see the DOF issues but you may also find a wind issue with some of the vegetation in the image. I have found that the best clouds sometimes come with wind so bear that in mind when considering f stop.

Get that jeepster back out there and let us know how it went.
    Hi John,

Thanks for the input - I made this image with a Rodenstock 150mm - (my next widest lens is a Nikon 90mm) - the next time I go out to the site (armed with my new knowledge) I will make an image with both lenses - I won't come back without a sharp image!

Len

Len - www.lenbruffett.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    I like the Defender 90, a great LF photo accessory. Nicer looking than my FJ62.
    David,
    Thanks for the complements on my truck- the FJ62 is a good machine - and carries a good sized load - I almost bought one a number of years ago. I like the D90 because of it simplistic design - it is easy to work on . My truck has been fairly reliable - but I always keep on top of the preventative maintenance. A lot of the locations I visit east of the Sierra Nevada are pretty remote, with very little traffic and no Cell service. There is usually no one out there on the trails to bail you out!

Len