Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with the ugliest knuckler?

What to do with the ugliest knuckler?

I guy in an antique shop kept trying to sell me (over several visits in the course of a year) the ugliest knuckler in existence. He finally succeeded, but now what do I do with it? He was (literally) using it as a doorstop. It weights about five kilos, so was good for that. In the course of its life (or possibly death) it had clearly been dropped from a great height on to a hard surface, then rolled down a mountain. Dented everywhere, including a massive dent in the massive brass body, nothing at all will turn or unscrew. Here are some pictures.

Cogito, ergo sum

Re: What to do with the ugliest knuckler?

5kg should be a 18" f4.5.
    Send it to me and I will take care it .

Edited: Agg, I dont think it's 5kg. Did your weight scale calibrate ? It looks like an E series to my bad eyes.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooke4.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	107181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooke3.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	107182Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooke2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	107183Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cooke1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	107184

So, since nothing can be taken apart, my idea is to cut it in half and salvage the lenses (and the diaphragm if I can), then make a new body out of plastic, or brass tubing if I can find it. What do you think?

Its a 10.5 inch (270mm) series IID f/3.5, and must have been a nice lens before it rolled down the mountain. Without flange, lens hood or brass knuckles it weights 2.5 kilos (I just checked), or more than five and a half pounds (it felt like five kilos).

Cogito, ergo sum

Interesting! I've heard but never seen a series D f3.5 before. If I were you I just keep it as is and shoot it. If the image is as beautiful as the Cooke always does, keep playing with it. Otherwise you will have a nice paper weight.
    Life = Love + Passion + Responsibility

There is too much gunk inside, including penetrating oil residue, to shoot through, and the diaphragm is stuck at about f/8. Its got to come apart to be cleaned, but its not just stuck, the heavy brass housing is dented so that it exerts mechanical pressure on the joints. I really believe the only way to get it apart is to cut it.

Before you say "you can't", shoot a few sheets of an attractive face and post them here.... I'll bet you get offers.... If you can see through it, you can shoot through it .... You might make an artistic statement that is very successful. This could be your finest lens.....

I'm sure I could sell it to someone, but what's the point? I'd not get much, and then I couldn't use it. Seems better to me to take it apart, and then rebuild it so that it can be used as intended. If I put it in plastic it might even be light enough to use on my 4x5, and for th soft-focus adjustment, I could do it the way Stephen did the Dallmeyer (I think it was a Dallmeyer). Then I would have a working Cooke knuckled that would be worth nothing to a collector but would be as useable as any other with similar conditions lenses.

loujon

Hey Tim, You sure you have all three elements present? I can't tell from your posted images.

I can see your missing the outer brass barrel w/ the knuckler & the hood that once screwed home holds the outer brass tube w/ knuckler in place. I have a 15" Series IIE which has the same barrel construction of the Series IID and this how I'm making my conclusions.
    Last edited by Louis Pacilla; 26-Dec-2013 at 10:12. Reason: change

Can't keep away from this, although I have no easy solution!
    I have a couple of the slightly smaller 2E - also 10.5".
    Once the lens hood is screwed off, the turning mechanism can just be pulled off.
    The internal clearance between the items making up the front parts is very small and substantial denting of the hood, even at the extreme edges, will remove this clearance and, and the same time, distort the fine thread enough to render unscrewing difficult, if not impossible. The hood section's function is only to lock the turning ring in position - the front lens' mounting is completely separate. A mechanical removal of the lens hood will give you better access to the front lens.

Whoops! Too quick a response. As Louis mentions, the fixing lens hood unit and the brass ring with screwed spectacles are already gone. This is probably to your advantage as the hood can be impossible to turn.

There are only simple lenses in the Cooke so drastic cleaning solvents may be appropriate.

Tim, I think what you recall was a Leitz Epis projection lens which , when cut up, would provide fixed rear and front lenses and a central hellecoid section which moved the central -ve lens forward - like both the Heliar Universal and the soft Cooke solution.