Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to change from a 4x5 view to a 4x5 folder...recommendations

I want to change from a 4x5 view to a 4x5 folder...recommendations

I currently have a nice Sinar F2 but it is just too bulky so I don't ever take it out. I would like to get a 4x5 folder that doesn't cost a fortune. I would love to have a Chamonix or Ebony but I am not going to spend that kind of money.
    I would like some recommendations on something that is good but inexpensive. Maybe one of the Graflex or Speed Graphic??? I have 90mm, 150mm 180mm, 250mm and 300mm lenses if that makes any difference.

I don't ever use tons of movements. I don't need the viewfinder that some of these cameras have, I want to focus from the GG. A rotating back would really be nice.

Suggestions???
    Thanks
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Re: I want to change from a 4x5 view to a 4x5 folder...recommendations

Super Graphic. Folds up compactly. Has Front rise/fall, tilt, swing, shift and rotating back. Pretty cheap.

Jon
    Last edited by Jon Shiu; 17-Dec-2013 at 21:15.
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I'm a Toyo man so the only thing that I could recommend is the Toyo-Field 45AX/AII (~5lbs) if you want movements (front and back) or the Toyo-Field 45CF (~3.4 lbs) if you can live without back movements.

I also own a Toyo-View Robos (12 lbs) and a Toyo-View 810G. The Robos I bought first and although it is a terrific camera I also thought that it was bulky and heavy... until I got the G and after hauling the G around the Robos became "light as a feather" and compact! But I also had the same experience moving from 35mm to 6x7.

Thomas

Super Graphic sounds like the best option on a smaller budget; spend a little more and get a used Wista SP or VX.
    Not necessarily lighter, but more compact and versatile.

If you want a wooden field camera you could look at a used Tachihara or Shen Hao.

To add to Ari's suggestion, you might find an older metal Wista SP with the chrome front standard cheaper. The early ones didn't have front swing if that matters to you.

Check out Busch Pressman Model D.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I have a shen hao HZ...IIA, very compact little camera, it has back rise, it also has base tilts which took a bit to get used to but now I really like it, I can use a 305mm on it in a copal 1 and get pretty close for a portrait, doubt one could go any longer than that though, the brochure says 360mm is the max, with a 305 its racked out pretty good even at infinity. they are great cameras though, I think this one weighs in at about 4 pounds.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Wise minds above have already mentioned them, but I've owned both a Toyo AX and a Tachihara and they're great cameras. As far as choosing one over the other, I think it depends on whether you're drawn more to metal or wood, but again, they're both wonderful, and either can be found pretty cheaply used.

Look at a Wista 45DX. I've never regretted getting mine.

I have a Crown Graphic and several Cambos. About 90% of my lenses are on Crown lens boards and I have a Cambo lens board adapter that will accept Crown boards. This way my travelling kit is fairly small and compact because the lenses are not on the huge Cambo boards.

In general, I find myself happy with just using the Crown. The only time I now use the Cambo is with my huge Rodenstock 300mm f/5.6 Sironar-N or Nikkor 90mm f/4.5 lenses.