Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: difficult and expensive to get 4x5 back for Toyo half-plate field camera??

Re: difficult and expensive to get 4x5 back for Toyo half-plate field camera??

I was going to guess that it was also a 4x5 back by looks of it but I didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    I used to live in Tokyo for a couple years. I had to relearn how to ask questions like yours. The problem is that you made a statement then followed it up with a question which confuses the heck out of non-native-English-speaking persons. Until I learned how to phrase questions so the other party could understand my point, I was confuzzling my Japanese friends, just like what you did to the eBay seller.

Instead, just ask the question directly. For example, "Is the camera set up for 4x5?"
    ok thanks, never knew that, but I guess with my smattering of French and slightly better Irish and the structure of those, I should have guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I was going to guess that it was also a 4x5 back by looks of it but I didn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.
    thanks Vinny, looks like a good choice for me, the head won out over the (expensive) heart in this instance

am I right in thinking that these cameras use graphic lensboards and if so, do they accept the super graphic type? i.e., notches on all 4 sides? thanks

They use pacemaker graphic lensboards. I don't know about super graphic boards. The bumps at the top and bottom mate with the retaining sliders. Bumps on the side wouldn't get in the way of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by jackpie View Post
    They use pacemaker graphic lensboards. I don't know about super graphic boards. The bumps at the top and bottom mate with the retaining sliders. Bumps on the side wouldn't get in the way of anything.
    great stuff, many thanks, I have a super graphic so it would be useful to interchange, appreciate it.

Is Frank Petronio still posting here?

He may know. I seem to recall he had an example of that same camera just a few years ago. They used to come up on eBay fairly regularly, but not so much the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    am I right in thinking that these cameras use graphic lensboards and if so, do they accept the super graphic type? i.e., notches on all 4 sides? thanks
    The lens boards for the Super Graphic are a bit thicker... as they are two steel plates with a linkage inside for the shutter release solenoid in the Super front standard to actuate. However dimension wise and with regard to bumps, the Super lens boards fit on a Crown or other Graflex.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    The lens boards for the Super Graphic are a bit thicker... as they are two steel plates with a linkage inside for the shutter release solenoid in the Super front standard to actuate. However dimension wise and with regard to bumps, the Super lens boards fit on a Crown or other Graflex.
    great stuff, thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    Is Frank Petronio still posting here?
    I miss Frank.

When does his ban expire?