Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fitting lenses to a Graflex Series D 4x5

Re: Fitting lenses to a Graflex Series D 4x5

The things we forget. In this case, I forgot I have a 15" tele-Optar (the 4x5 lens) apparently factory-mounted in a A board (for the 3-1/4x4-1/4" camera). Anyway, it does stick out the back quite a bit!

Roger, put that lens to use on a different camera and get yourself a nice 190-210mm Tessar in barrel. I am having a blast with mine.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Folks, Roger sent me a jpg of the lens stuffed into his camera's front. I've posted it at http://sdrv.ms/Jwsga3.
    Nope. It is still Microsoft's SkyDrive and wants a password.

Sorry, Terry, I don't know what the problem is. I just checked, skydrive says it is shared with anyone who has the link you quoted.

Terry, try this

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Terry, try this
    Yes, that worked. Thanks.

It looks very much like my 4x5 RB Auto Graflex except my hinged door/lens covering is above the lens, not to the side.

Terry, the picture is not oriented correctly, so the hinged door is indeed on top. Just tilt your head 90 degrees to the left

I managed to have a little play today.

Randy I do have a board to mount the Optar lens on my Anniversary Speed Graphic and I do have a 5x7 B&L Tessar which came with the camera but it had been bugging me that I have not been able to find a convenient and easy way to mount the lens on to this camera until today.

I do not have any of the latches and catches and sliders that blueribbontea used to mount the lens nor did I want to do away with the door so I had to come up with a different non destructive way to mount the lens on the front of the bellows. That is so, if I want to, I can easily put the camera back the way it was.

Firstly I unscrewed the side flaps and folded them up against the inside of the door along with their mounting brackets and small screws securing them with tape initially brown parcel tape later changed to black insulation tape. The door will still operate normally and close properly with the tape on it.

If you look inside the bellows about an inch in you can see a ledge which runs round three sides. The top and two sides. Use can be made of those shelves to help make a light trap for a lens board to be inserted into the space. The lens board overlaps rather than sits in the orifice at the front of the bellows and a framework of light timber is made to insert into that hole.

Having struggled to upload pictures the other day I have taken Dan's advise and opened a Skydrive account if you click the link here the pictures should open up in another tab.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=3570A...1DA548!109&v=3

The pieces of wood were tacked together with panel pins and screwed and glued to the reverse of the lens board. The lens board can then be inserted into the hole in the front of the bellows. Where it is a nice snug fit. So snug I can shake the camera facing downwards and the board does not come out. I tested this over the bed. However more security is needed than that. I did consider having an internal catch whereby one could reach in through the back of the camera and secure a catch fitted to the rear of the lens board. In the end however I decided this would be too much of a faff.

I have not done so yet but have decided now that the easiest way to secure the lens board is to drill two small holes in the opposite side frames of the front standard and also into but not though the frame of the lens board and then to insert a small metal peg to prevent the lens board falling out. The peg being a cut off nail. The head of which prevents the peg being inserted too far. A piece of cord is tied around the head of the nail the other end of which attaches to the lens board.

If you want to take off the lens board you pull out the pegs and pull out the lens board. To refit is the opposite.

The camera has not been modified in anyway apart from two small 2.5 mm diameter holes in the front standard frame and all the pieces are on hand were they cannot be lost including the little screws should you wish to replace the side walls and return the camera to it's original condition.

Both with the Optar and a Dallmeyer telephoto, shown in some of the pictures and which I also intend to mount on a lens board for this camera in this way, I managed to achieve infinity focus mounted on the front of the bellows. I am sure I will also be able to do so with the 9" Verito.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hesketh; 17-Dec-2013 at 15:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Terry, the picture is not oriented correctly, so the hinged door is indeed on top. Just tilt your head 90 degrees to the left
    Randy, I knew that, I was just pulling your leg!