Page 40 of 843 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140540 ... LastLast

Thread: MF (6x4.5,6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Re: MF (6x6,6x7,6x9,6x12) B&W film images sharing

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Ed's House of Gems, indeed. These painted crystals are on the back (east) side of the building. I've tried a few times to make a decent photo of the place. This one comes close, but I still feel like there is a great photo lurking in and around there just waiting to be taken. Whether that photo gets taken by me or by you or by persons unknown, time will tell. Any place plastered with the slogan, "Everything for the rock hound!" has gotta have something going for it.

Pursuant to a discussion elsewhere on the forum, this is one of those places that could be gone in the blink of an eye. It's been there a long time and doesn't show signs of closing, but all it would take is a really bad year or the death of the owner to send it over the edge, I would guess.

J.
    It will be gone in the blink of an eye, no doubt about it. I feel like I should go in there and buy something as it's given me a certain pleasure simply by way of its very existence. As far as future photographs go, I'm thinking one could move just a bit to the right of where you were, so that you'd have that great crystal sign and then the word "everything" next to it. Actually, now that I look at it again, those crystals make me think of a ruined city on fire (like a bunch of Washington monuments), so it would end up being a sort of prediction, or a statement on impermanence-ha!

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Very nice; exciting composition and tones.
    Thanks for that. I was generally happy with the composition. For me the power lines at the top mirror the cracks in the pavement below, and the half-door on the left mirrors the half-rectangular paint on the right. Not earth shattering, but I did put a little thought into it.

Jason, your comment above is a great example of why I like posting here. Just about everywhere else on the Web this image would be passed over with less than a one or two second glance. (And, to be honest, it's not the best thing I've ever done.) But here on this forum we can usually expect our fellow members to take a longer and more appreciative look at our work. It is that consideration, whether expressed or not, that keeps me coming back to both look at what's been posted and to post myself.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    ...now that I look at it again...
    See, Austin, you're making my point!

I wanted to get the word "everything" in the frame but sometimes the 6x6 format does not lend itself to horizontal compositions. Time to go back for another try with the 6x9. Making a purchase there would indeed be good karma. My wife and I keep meaning to go in there just for the sake of saying that we did.

Jonathan

Thanks Austin...
    These reflections would make a lovely print I think.. Great image!
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Pond Reflections, Portland
    Ooooh, I like it.

J.

If you had told me you painted that, I would have believed you.
    Great stuff, Austin.

It's way easier to right click and view it on the gray background; the composition doesn't show nearly as much in the inline form. It only takes a second.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Thanks for that. I was generally happy with the composition. For me the power lines at the top mirror the cracks in the pavement below, and the half-door on the left mirrors the half-rectangular paint on the right. Not earth shattering, but I did put a little thought into it.

Jason, your comment above is a great example of why I like posting here. Just about everywhere else on the Web this image would be passed over with less than a one or two second glance. (And, to be honest, it's not the best thing I've ever done.) But here on this forum we can usually expect our fellow members to take a longer and more appreciative look at our work. It is that consideration, whether expressed or not, that keeps me coming back to both look at what's been posted and to post myself.

See, Austin, you're making my point!

I wanted to get the word "everything" in the frame but sometimes the 6x6 format does not lend itself to horizontal compositions. Time to go back for another try with the 6x9. Making a purchase there would indeed be good karma. My wife and I keep meaning to go in there just for the sake of saying that we did.

Jonathan

Extremely nice. One of your finest Austin. Any thoughts on printing choices?

Cheers,

Luc
    Last edited by lbenac; 4-Aug-2014 at 08:34.
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

Yeah, that is awesome, Austin. I love it.

Thanks guys. The reflections were changing every second because of the motion of the water so it was kind of a guess as to what I would end up with. Actually, I almost ended up with a family of ducks in the picture as at this moment they were charging toward me!

Luc, because of time constraints, and honestly, money constraints, I always photograph more than I print, so I'm not sure if I'll explore this one further, but who knows? There are some pretty neat patterns going on with the spangles that are hard to see at this size; it might be interesting to make a larger print. In any case, I'm printing digitally these days on an Epson 3000, which does a good job. I'm currently making a sort of mock-up book using double-sided Hahnemuhle Photo Rag. It's not my first choice of paper for every image, but it's one I like a lot. Thanks again for the kind words.